www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:43 am 
Goldfish

I bought my 2003 Funship 234 in Dune this past fall. I'm about to buff/polish/wax the heck out of it. It's already in pretty excelllent condition, but does have 3-4 scratches about 2" each that I know aren't going to buff out. Nothing real major, but I'm pretty particular and want to go ahead and take care of them while my enthusiasm is high.

Four Winns referred me to Spectrum. They'll send me the factory code/color match in paste form, but only have a quart available in my color. It's like $120 or so. Ouch.

On my own I found a few others (Rayplex, Minicraft, etc) that seem OK, but about the same price as Spectrum (in whom I have more confidence since factory recommended).

Along the way, though, I ran across these guys that seem intriguing:

http://theboatdoctor.fatcow.com/index.html

They appear to have a color-matched paste kit I can get for like $32.95 http://theboatdoctor.fatcow.com/id82.html

Has anyone used these guys before? Any real risk -- other than possible slight mismatch? I figure they can get me a lot closer to a legit match than I can by just dropping in semi-random dyes hoping to get close. The price is right, but I don't want to make the situation worse. BTW, I'm entirely confident with the fill/sand/buff part of the scratch repair.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:58 am 
email admin your custom rank

For what its worth, I have come to realize that you cannot have a perfect boat. Sooner or later you will scratch it. Either from using it, or from getting a little grit on the brush while you are washing it.

If you were to buff the scratches in the same direction you polish down to the bottom of the scratch. Its still there but the color is restored so it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb (as long as it hasnt gone thru the gel). Even if you get a perfect match on the color, after a year or two in the sun, it wont match in the repair area becuase of the different rates of fading.

Just my .02. Good luck with it

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:22 am 
Goldfish

jsimon wrote:
For what its worth, I have come to realize that you cannot have a perfect boat. Sooner or later you will scratch it. Either from using it, or from getting a little grit on the brush while you are washing it.

If you were to buff the scratches in the same direction you polish down to the bottom of the scratch. Its still there but the color is restored so it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb (as long as it hasnt gone thru the gel). Even if you get a perfect match on the color, after a year or two in the sun, it wont match in the repair area becuase of the different rates of fading.

Just my .02. Good luck with it

A good reminder about the pursuit of perfection with boats! The reason I bought this boat last fall is because I was tired of the elusive perfection for my 1996 Monterey deckboat. It's now a very nice boat (going up for sale tomorrow...), but my new one is very much closer to being as "flawless" as I'd like. I know it's an unachievable goal to get it truly flawless, but I enjoy the pursuit!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 pm 
Minnow

I just ordered a pint from these guys. Price was right. I haven't received it yet (I literally just ordered it). I will keep this forum posted on how it goes.
Also, if you order it from them, you have to remember to get the catalyst. It is a separate item.
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/fiberglass/gel_coat

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 pm 
Goldfish

Rixster wrote:
I just ordered a pint from these guys. Price was right. I haven't received it yet (I literally just ordered it). I will keep this forum posted on how it goes.
Also, if you order it from them, you have to remember to get the catalyst. It is a separate item.

Definitely keep us posted. How much did the pint set you back?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:48 pm 
Minnow

marietta_ken wrote:
Rixster wrote:

Definitely keep us posted. How much did the pint set you back?

Thats the best part. I went to my local four winns dealer, they had a repair "kit" for 58.99. That included 2 oz of white gel coat the catalyst, and 4 .5oz tints.
I got the pint of white gel coat, catalyst and a 2 oz bottle of brown tint shipped to my door for 32.00

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:04 pm 
Minnow

Here are a few before pics and one after. I am not sure why I don't have pics of the other spots after. I didn't match the color perfectly, but that is why you start on the bottom of the boat where no one but you will know right?
Before
After