www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1988 215 sundowner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:28 pm 
Minnow

Hi, looking for a little help. Does anyone have the firing order for this boat? I think it is a 5.7 liter, not sure.
Thanks
the boat came with all the wires pulled out of dcap.
Also does anyone know which cap fits these motors. I am assuming it is GM based motor.

Post subject: Re: 1988 215 sundowner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:36 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If it is a 5.7 it is a Chevy (GM) engine. The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Generally, GM puts the distributor is in the back, and Ford puts them in the front. You can Google this for info and illustrations.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

Post subject: Re: 1988 215 sundowner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:18 am 
email admin your custom rank

First you have to figure out whether you have a Merc system or an OMC system, because the ignition systems are different. The distributor must be a marine J1171 certified unit to be safe on an inboard installation. If Merc you can get the cap, rotor and gasket if needed from a Merc dealer or online source of Merc parts, you can also use Sierra aftermarket. If its an OMC system, then it will be a Prestolite points and condenser distributor with centrifugal spark advance. For these you can get the OE cap, rotor and gasket (yes they do use a gasket on the rim of the cap where it fits on the dist. body) from on line sellers of OMC parts or Sierra aftermarket. I have used both OE and Sierra on mine with good results.
try
http://www.marineengine.com
look in the parts section, catalogs for your system merc or OMC.
they offer OEM when still available and also aftermarket. Good customer service.
another source of OEM only is crowley marine.

I usually go through what I think I'll need for the next boating season in the fall and order stuff from marine engine . com
But I have a good marine supply store that I like to patronize for things that are too heavy to ship like exhaust manifolds etc. his prices are actually better than on line due to no shipping cost. He can get me anything, OMC, Merc or Volvo. So I want to keep him in business, in a day or 2 he gets it.

Many Four Winns boats of that vintage were OMC, if yours is the distributor will be the Prestolite if its original.
Do not use an auto style distributor in a marine engine, it is unsafe and the advance curve is not right for a marine engine.
Here's a Prestolite with the cap off:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0loz9jkmggqg ... e.jpg?dl=0

later OMCs and Volvos used the Prestolite BID system which is electronic with an electronic module to trigger the spark instead of breaker points. The modules for these are not available so you are actually better off with the older style points distributor but you have to learn how to replace and adjust points like we did on our cars in the 60s and 70s. If someone replaced it with the BID unit, they are fine as long as the module does not fail but if it does it can be replaced with a Petronix aftermarket electronic unit.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II