www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:10 pm 
Tadpole

I am seeking information on what would cause my floor storage in my sundowner to accumulate water. I have felt around the compartment and it feels like their is a drain in the back but I have tried to snake it and it doesn't seem to help. any suggestions or reasons that I would collect a lot of water in this storage area. The boat is covered 90% of the time and I am suprised about the amount of water in the compartment and especially suprised it does not drain.

thanks for any feedback or help.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

What size Sundowner? My 245 has a drain plug right in the middle. It does drain into the engine bilge. Does your bilge have water?

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:24 am 

Do you also have a wet floor in your cuddy? I have found that if you leave wet anchor line in the locker, that water will make it to the cuddy floor. Or if you have gotten a lot of rain and your boat cover does not cover the anchor locker area, again water in the cuddy. As to your problem, do you pull your drain plug after boating? Is your SD in a slip, or on a trailer? If on a trailer, how do you park it? Tongue up, level, or tongue down?

My SD (as do most FW) have cross sections at the fore of the bilge, fore of the gastank, and cuddy. In these cross sections are drain holes to (in theory) drain water to the bilge. Unfortunately, the design is lacking (holes sometimes 1/2 inch off the hull floor). I used to get water in these areas, but now I always pull my drain plug after boating, and store my boat with the trailer tongue as high as I can get it, and make sure my anchor locker is covered during rain. No more wet floors (or bilge).

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:07 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks for the feedback. The boat is a 1997 225 sundowner. It is kept in the water all of the time on a lift. The lift is usually pretty balanced. I looked in the bilge area and it had just a coating of water; the auto and manual bilge looks to be working properly. I noticed in the other postings regarding the anchor locker and I do need to work on sealing this area since the front cuddy was wet. Hopefully I can find the drain plug and that is the easy fix for the water in the storage compartment.

thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:17 pm 

dexterdunn wrote:
Hopefully I can find the drain plug and that is the easy fix for the water in the storage compartment.

Sorry, I meant "hull plug" (back of hull under outdrive) in my previous post, not drain plug. I'm betting that your lift keeps your boat level, or at most a bit off level (bow up slightly). If you have any water in the bilge it will flow fore, through the drain hole in cross section and into your floor storage locker. Unfortunately since your on a lift, can't really tilt you bow up. I would plug that first drain hole from your bilge. See if that cures your problem. Obviously, if you see water in your storage locker afterwards, remove whatever you used to plug the hole to let the water drain.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 pm 
Clownfish

May e to help your situation while on the water you can install a 2x6 if I recall as the rite side of board used on the front of the shore station to give it just a few degrees of pitch. That might help sense you only need a little to get the water to flow.

I did this on my shore station with my old boat and it worked nicely

Used to own- mint 1974 amf 235 slickcraft. One greatly missed boat