www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:03 pm 
Clownfish

Well this will be my rebuild thread of this boat from top to bottom. These are my before photos. Don't won't to show the I just got it home photos for it was a complete horrible mess inside this boat.

This took about 2 days worth of cleaning vacuuming simple green and a lot of gloves and garbage bags. Tomorrow I will be starting in the cabbin tearing out the ceiling, floor carpet and side rails to install fresh carpet with a new style of carpet but trying to keep it near the original color so it will go with the test of the boat.

For the inside where the toilet was I will probably to a heavy clean and leave it alone sense there is no major damage besides some dirt on the floor. Maybe after the rest of the boat is complete I will change it all out. But one thing I will do sense I don't plan on installing a toilet I will raise the platform and make is usable for a small changing room or storage for the days/weekends food.

I will try and make this thread as detailed as possible as well as alot of photos to where others can use as a guid and to see the steps needed for there project. Due to me being on my phone I will have to add the photos tomorrow once I get on my laptop.

Used to own- mint 1974 amf 235 slickcraft. One greatly missed boat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sweet, looking forward to it....good luck!

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:21 pm 

Can't wait to see pics!

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
Clownfish

Well forgot to get the photos set up for you guys to see but had some time on Friday to get into the boat and get some more work done on it.

Got the new center floor sections cut and mounted so now I have a good floor to walk on. Next I will carefully remove the carpet on the engine cover to measure and cut new pieces to rebuild that. Sense the cover now is barely hanging together from rotting away. But once that's done I will feel better to have it stored till spring time when I plan to tear all that apart to re carpet and finish off.

As for the cabin I have the ceiling carpet removed as well as the seats and the carpet inside the 3 storage compartments and that alone got a lot of the smell out. I am now attempting to remove the side pieces that are for a backrest and minor storage area (I believe but not certain) but need help as to where do I look for the screws to remove it. I don't want to just rare it out carelessly if I can avoid it so I can reuse the wood and just recarpet it. So if anyone has knowledge of that please chime in and help me out

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 pm 
Clownfish

Well been doing some slow work to the boat. Not sure if I got a little to much in over my head here. The block is gone as I can see. It's seized and not budging.

But so far focusing on getting the engine cover redone so for when it rains and the winter months do t need it making any more damage that has already done. Should have the new box made by this Sunday. Started tearing apart the motor to get down to the block to see what I'm really dealing with. So far everything is looking reusesable witch makes me feel a little better.

Hooked a battery up and man oh man this thing is a wire nightmare. outdrive won't go up or down half the lights don't work. But trim tabs work fine spotlight and starter work even though it won't crank over.

I'm working rite now on getting my photo album on photo bucket set so you all can see the nightmare I took on. I should have some good progress by the end of this weekend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:38 pm 
Clownfish

well guys the wait is over! I finally have my pictures set up for viewing. I dont have them on here sense I dont know how to resize them for the site so just click my photobucket link. check them out and any comments are welcome

http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab81 ... oat%20pix/

The other half of my album is photos from the boat I "used" to own till it was taken from me (long story) but feel free to check them out and enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:08 am 

Looks like ya got some work ahead of ya...but so far lookin good. What are your plans? Ya gonna restore to original, or cutomize it to your liking?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:25 pm 
Clownfish

I plan on keeping it original for now. Once it's running might change the color scheme on the outside. But the one thing I plan on doing while the motor is out is to put exhaust pipes. I don't like quite toys and nothing I own is quite so this won't be any different

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:57 pm 

Original is good. One thing I would change tho, is those fold out, back-to-back seats. I don't know anyone who likes them, as they tend to break when they are folded flat, and no one likes to sit with their heads bonking together in rough waters. Change them to buckets on a pedestal, it will open up a lot of deck space for more important things, like beer coolers and dancing girls... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 pm 
Clownfish

I actually like them. Had them on my old boat even though we didn't use them much folded down besides when we had pizza or actual sun tanning. I might do the bucket seats and it would open up the space, BUT as for the beer situation will be taken care of in the closet where the toilet used to be I got ideas for that room

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 am 

My 88 has the exact same color scheme....I ripped out all that carpet except on the gunnels. Mine needed stringer repair and a new deck from just in front of the helm seats back to the engine. I also had to rebuild the gas tank mounts. On the outside, I never could get that red/maroon gel coat to come back so this year I got it painted in red Imron.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:03 pm 
Clownfish

I have a feeling this boat will be the same way but for now I'll habe my guy that buffs my vehicles to do his best then once I get the motor going and new floor installed see how I want to attack the paint. Not sure if I want to roll and tip it or spray it.

As for the seat suggestions I am thinking of buckets with the seat being able to fold down to stand but with family and prolly having friends on the boat having as much seating as possible might be key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:27 pm 
Clownfish

Well guys I ripped more into the motor last night sense I had my brother in law over to lend a hand. It upsets me so much as well as makes me so mad that the original owners could have prevented all this and damage to the cabin if

1 they shut and locked the cabin
2 just retarp it like they did on day one with a blue tarp

Anyways the intake manifold looks bad but I got the inside cleaned up with chemicals and will be saved. Both heads look good as well just need to clean up. I can go a little further with the motor tear down but I'll need to find a place to get this motor lifted out.

Click the photo link few posts up for the updated photos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:05 am 
Clownfish

Well due to the weather I'm kind of at a stad still with the block because I don't have a forklift or a buddy with a shop to get the block out so I started back in the cabin area.

Took off the cabin door and had to re screw in the bottom of one door due to the water spreading the wood away from the glass. Then lightly sanded them down to see that once I put some sealer on them they will look like new! Very happy to see how we'll they stayed for there condition. I also started in with tearing out the radio and switch/fuse panel inside the cabin to inspect to see how the wires are and if any need to be replaced to get the lights, fridge and sink working again. I'll throw some photos up on my photo bucket on my next day off. But thought I would update on the small progress I have made

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 am 

Glad to hear your still at it. So many peeps get the boat tore apart, then lose interest and it becomes a very ugly yard ornament. Thanks for the update...