www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:52 pm 
Dolphin

Yeah, for $71 I can get both sets for the price of one set of Polk MM's. The infinity's have some bling factor as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm 
268 Vista

Here is a pic of one that I installed on our last boat.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:48 am 
email admin your custom rank

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
You may be an audiophile, but beware, a boat is the worst place to judge quality sound, no matter what you spend.

This quote, along with Ric's "keeping things simple" philosophy is all you need to do to achieve quality sound on the water.
Sound stage and height are totally irrelivant out on the water & in the wind!
In my experience (won a number of car audio SQ and Sound Off/ bass battle comp's over the last 10+ years), get a quality 3 pre-out head unit (Alpine! 8) ), a 5 channel amp, 2x pairs of the Polk DB651's, a Polk DB1040 subwoofer and a quality 4AWG, 5 channel wiring kit.
No-one has mentioned a critical installation requirement, which would be to mount a plywood baffle behind every speaker (glass is thin & resonates like ass).
Marine gear (HU's & amp's) isn't critical if you mount the components out of the weather (in a cabin).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22 am 

deafwish wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:
You may be an audiophile, but beware, a boat is the worst place to judge quality sound, no matter what you spend.

This quote, along with Ric's "keeping things simple" philosophy is all you need to do to achieve quality sound on the water.
Sound stage and height are totally irrelivant out on the water & in the wind!
In my experience (won a number of car audio SQ and Sound Off/ bass battle comp's over the last 10+ years), get a quality 3 pre-out head unit (Alpine! 8) ), a 5 channel amp, 2x pairs of the Polk DB651's, a Polk DB1040 subwoofer and a quality 4AWG, 5 channel wiring kit.
No-one has mentioned a critical installation requirement, which would be to mount a plywood baffle behind every speaker (glass is thin & resonates like ass).
Marine gear (HU's & amp's) isn't critical if you mount the components out of the weather (in a cabin).

That's pretty much my exact setup. Except with two amps so that I can shut down the subwoofer while the boat is off to conserve power, both class D. I custom made all my wiring with gold plated ends, wire sleeve, pants, etc. Running highly rated Monster brand speaker wire (made a huge difference over factory CCA). Boats might not be the best acoustical stages, but I dare you to find a car that sounds better.

I'm running the DB1040 in a .7SF sealed box and on a 19ft boat it can be VERY overpowering. If you don't care to have people on shore 100yds away to start fist pumping and dancing I'd recommend just a 8" MM series subwoofer to fill in the lows where the DB651's are lacking. Those free air marine subwoofers that come factory don't compare to a "real" sub even turned all the way down. Avoid those like the plague, waste of $$.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:21 pm 

ric wrote:
Boats might not be the best acoustical stages, but I dare you to find a car that sounds better.

You've clearly never listened to a well setup SQ car! :lol:
p.s. Sound quality is very subjective to people who don't know what they're listening for. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:24 pm 

deafwish wrote:
ric wrote:
Boats might not be the best acoustical stages, but I dare you to find a car that sounds better.

You've clearly never listened to a well setup SQ car! :lol:
p.s. Sound quality is very subjective to people who don't know what they're listening for. :wink:

WELL I'm not talking about a professional competition car.. but the run of the mill lexus or bmw.... it's on par. My co-worker was an audio engineer before he switched professions to IT.. He tuned it all in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:54 am 

You can't change your mind that quickly! :lol: :roll: :wink:

Our BMW's factory stereo (Business CD version) sounded appauling & many Bimmers are renouned for it.
Come to think of it, that Chevy Cruze I hired in Vegas had a better sounding stereo than our Bimmer...

No boat will ever sound exceptionally good - simply due to the environment it is in. Period. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 am 
Dolphin

Where have you guys mounted your sub, or where would you mount yours in my sundowner? Also how big of a box would you build behind your components? Do you use MDF or plywood?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:21 pm 
Dolphin

Getting off topic as well, the best clarity factory stereo I heard in a car was a Buick LaCrosse/ Regal (new style) with the Harmon Kardon system. Much better than the rest, however I would love to hear that $11k option audi stereo!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 pm 

Joe wrote:
Where have you guys mounted your sub, or where would you mount yours in my sundowner? Also how big of a box would you build behind your components? Do you use MDF or plywood?

I measured and found a pre-made box that fit under my rear seat on my Stingray. My 2nd optional spot was in the cuddy where the portapotty rests that I don't use.

If you need to make one, MDF is the best option and then fiberglass it. You COULD go marine grade plywood but eh.

You pick the box size and type based upon what speakers(s) you decide to go with and what the desired outcome is. Polk recommended a .66 square foot sealed box for the DB1040 and I went with a .7 sealed. It produces a very clean bass that sounds perfect for all types of music from country, rock, to dance. The DB1040 is also naturally marine rated. You could goto ported boxes etc if you're looking for more "boom" without care for sound quality.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm 
Dolphin

I still have a Kicker 12L7 that is suppose to be marine quality that I used to have in my car. It could handle 1000 watts RMS but I'm not looking for anything that loud. I would do a new smaller sealed box for it though, and a smaller class d amp. I was thinking of putting it back into commission, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:10 am 

I used to have 1x L712 in my Wife's Mitsubishi Mirage!
Managed to place 1st in it's class at 144.9db in a 2 cu.ft, 40Hz ported enclosure.
The L7's don't sound very 'musical', but with 400Wrms+ it will be incredibly good on a boat!
Try build an airtight enclosure out of (ideally) 16mm ply or 18mm MDF, around 1cu.ft. Use some polyfil in the box.
Maybe build an enclosure behind a fibreglass panel where the woofer will be mounted... :wink:
Having a larger enclosure with a lower power amp' will make the woofer a little more efficient.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:33 pm 
Dolphin

Yeah I had the 12L7 running 1k watts RMS in the Kicker hatchback box, and it would rattle your face in my car. I'm definitely not looking to piss off everyone on the lake with that kind of output, or strain my electrical system. When I did have it turned down the sound quality was still good. I was thinking of going with the alpine marine 500.1 sub amp with a smaller sealed box. I do need to figure where to mount the thing, I was thinking of cutting the hole in my front storage under the cushions, but that would be a big hole too. I do use my porta pot so it can't go there either. At least I have all winter to think about it. I still think it may be a little bit too much for the boat, but it would be nice to not buy another sub and put this one to use.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:45 pm 

Joe wrote:
Yeah I had the 12L7 running 1k watts RMS in the Kicker hatchback box, and it would rattle your face in my car. I'm definitely not looking to piss off everyone on the lake with that kind of output, or strain my electrical system. When I did have it turned down the sound quality was still good. I was thinking of going with the alpine marine 500.1 sub amp with a smaller sealed box. I do need to figure where to mount the thing, I was thinking of cutting the hole in my front storage under the cushions, but that would be a big hole too. I do use my porta pot so it can't go there either. At least I have all winter to think about it. I still think it may be a little bit too much for the boat, but it would be nice to not buy another sub and put this one to use.

A polk DB1040 is too much on my 19ft cuddy fully leveled up on 220w RMS. Can't imagine that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:14 pm 
Dolphin

After looking in my boat I think the size requirement of the kicker will rule it out for me. I was almost thinking of doing 2 small subs on the fronts of my U-shaped seat. Although I don't want to give up more storage space. At least it will be a while till I do anything. I still need to get new speakers and an amp first!