www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:33 pm 
Seahorse

except there is no info on our new to us 2001 SD265. I can't believe how little info is out there on this model of boat. Heck, here in Michigan we see the SD265s out cruising all over the place.

We bought the boat September 2011.

No real issues with it except we don't get enough time on it. We need to quit our jobs. :lol:

5.7l Volvo Penta with DP outdrive

Been all over on it this year. Most of our time is spent on Lake Michigan out of Grand Haven and also the Hardy pond area. Did an overnight trip to Lake St. Clair and Torch Lake also.

Normal operating costs...had to have the steering ram replaced late season. It was leaking everywhere.

I upgraded the stereo, added an amp and subwoofer. Said it was for the kids but I like great audio systems in all my rides. 8)

Other than that, winter layup sucks. We already have three trips planned next season, with a ton of local boating.

Just a driveway shot.

Tow rig and the boat. Going to upgrade to an Excursion with diesel motivation as soon as the GMC sells. I need more power and seating to take the kids and ALL their friends.

Beached up in the Muskegon River.

Cruising by in Grand Haven. My kid took this picture when they were walking the seawall. They were PISSED. We didn't tell them we were taking the boat out. LOL!

I will leave you with a spring sunset off Grand Haven. Taken with my phone if you can believe that!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome! Always like to see more Sundowner owners join up...nice looking boat! I haven't heard much on the 265 myself either. I think it was only offered for 2000-2001, maybe thats why. What info ya looking for?

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 pm 
Seahorse

I would like to just see owners talking about the boat. 8)

I guess it isn't a big deal. Not much probably changed with the different footages...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 pm 

flipflop wrote:
I would like to just see owners talking about the boat. 8)

I guess it isn't a big deal. Not much probably changed with the different footages...

Ah, yeah I don't think anybody here has a 265, at least that posts regularly. What type in interior do you have? U-Shaped seating? Sunpad? Do you have the cockpit "refreshment" console? I know the 285's have a fridge in the cockpit and there are two 285 owners here...

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:03 pm 
Seahorse

No cockpit refreshment center. Here is a shot of the cockpit area. I have no idea why they do the cockpit in nice White with blue piping and then do the cuddy in terrible brown.

It has carpet that snaps in, but we have found that it gets trashed and smells like a wet dog when we are in and out of the water.

The boat also has the transom fresh water sprayer. That is a nice feature.

The head is just a simple porta potty. Carry it out of the boat and dump it.

That is all perfect. For the first boat I didn't want to complicate things.

Here is the gauges. It will hustle for a big boat with a little motor. We hardly ever run this fast, but sometimes you really need to feel the wind in your hair. 8)

It has been a great first boat. Yup, I said it. I have never owned a boat before and I figured get something that will work for years down the road. We can seat 8 people comfortably and pack in 12 if we need to. I had a few bumps learning to put it into slips and docks correctly, but with the help of a bunch of seasoned boating friends I have it pretty well dialed now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:40 pm 
Dolphin

Welcome! That looks like a really clean boat. It looks like my boat's big brother. Did you ever try getting your snap in carpet steam cleaned to see if that would get rid of the smell problem when it is wet? What did you do stereo wise?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:53 pm 

Welcome.
We boat in the Holland area, our boat is currently in it's winters nap in Grand Haven.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 pm 
Seahorse

Joe wrote:
Welcome! That looks like a really clean boat. It looks like my boat's big brother. Did you ever try getting your snap in carpet steam cleaned to see if that would get rid of the smell problem when it is wet? What did you do stereo wise?

We used the Bissell home unit. Never put the carpet back in the rest of the season after that.

For the stereo I replaced the Sony CD(wouldn't play CDs anymore and didn't have a mini jack input) deck that was in there with a new Sony that has Ipod connection inside. Deck power runs the stock speakers. Rockford Fosgate marine amp with a Fosgate 12" marine sub. Should have gone with two 8s instead of the single 12. The 12 misses some of the mid bass. I put the sub in the seat cabinet right behind the captain seat. I need to seal it up better. When I get the bass thumping it lifts the lid of that compartment. That has become the favorite seat when it is an adult only boat day! :lol:

Last edited by flipflop on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:09 pm 
Seahorse

97_245_sd wrote:
Welcome.
We boat in the Holland area, our boat is currently in it's winters nap in Grand Haven.

Never made it to Holland this year. We only got as far south as the power plant in between GH and Holland.

Our boat is sleeping in heated storage on the south side of Grand Rapids.

My goal in the next couple of years is to have heated storage for our boat on our own property. Then we can "boat" all year 'round.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:08 pm 
Shark

Welcome! Nice looking boat and tow rig. We also can't wait to get on the water in the spring. 8)

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 am 
268 Vista

Welcome. And yes you have a "rare" boat, as far as number of people that own one. Nice looking for it's age.

We boat in the same area's as you, just a little north of Grand Haven.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 am 

Nice looking boat. Welcome.

Make sure your sub can breathe when you seal the lid.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:11 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

We're neighbors! I'm at Pine Island and West River in CP. Nice looking boat. Just like mine but with a cover! Welcome to the forum and hopefully see you around the GH area this summer. We spent 3 years on Hardy Dam pond. LOVED River Ridge marina, but the river got to small for us. Photo below is at HDP.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:58 pm 
Clownfish

Welcome. That's one great setup you have. Very clean as well

Used to own- mint 1974 amf 235 slickcraft. One greatly missed boat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:59 pm 
Seahorse

St. Louis Dave wrote:
We're neighbors! I'm at Pine Island and West River in CP. Nice looking boat. Just like mine but with a cover! Welcome to the forum and hopefully see you around the GH area this summer. We spent 3 years on Hardy Dam pond. LOVED River Ridge marina, but the river got to small for us. Photo below is at HDP.

Yup, we are close. We are right by the RHS.

When the waves are up on the big lake we head towards Hardy. Do some tubing and some rafting with our friends. We are the same drive time to GH as Hardy so we flip a coin and away we go.

I just really like to be out on Lake Michigan, but my wife isn't a fan. She would rather be in Spring Lake but that lake creeps me out for swimming. We were out there a few times last year and the coves smelled like fuel. It was when we had that really hot weather and no rain so maybe the lake just wasn't cycling the water properly.

We have put the boat in Big Pine Island lake out in Grattan also. That is so funny to tow down the road to the ramp. People look at us like we are crazy. Once it is in the water it doesn't look like a huge boat though.