www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overnight on 215?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

I am trying to convince my wife that the 2 of us, while not as comfortable as a Hilton, could get a mooring on the Vineyard for a night and it would be fun. She is not 100% convinced. Has anyone overnight-ed with their 215 Sundowner or smaller? I was thinking of making screens for the bow hatch and doors to keep bugs out (one of her concerns). Just trying to think warm, as we are in a cold snap right now! (bay near our house is completely frozen solid, which doesn't happen often!) Another option is to let her and the kids (4 and 1.5) have the cuddy and I can sleep on the floor (with some padding) or on the back to back folded out. That would allow us to go as a family.

Post subject: Re: Overnight on 215?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 am 

I take it that you have a head on board. For women that is one of the most important things on a boat!! The 2nd is going to be hot water. I used a inverter to run the microwave to heat up water when I had me 21 & 23 foot cuddie.

The kids are only going to get bigger. We were going for a 28 footer but we found a V258 for short money. Now she wants to go out on the boat!! A real head & shower with HOT water.

Well, good luck to you becuase that going to be tight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 am 

Paul I. wrote:
I take it that you have a head on board. For women that is one of the most important things on a boat!! The 2nd is going to be hot water. I used a inverter to run the microwave to heat up water when I had me 21 & 23 foot cuddie.

The kids are only going to get bigger. We were going for a 28 footer but we found a V258 for short money. Now she wants to go out on the boat!! A real head & shower with HOT water.

Well, good luck to you becuase that going to be tight.

We have a porta potti, no microwave or hot water though. Maybe it worth paying for a transient slip to have shower/bathroom access?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 am 

I have a 205 but it is a 2005. My wife and I with our two children do this about 7-8 times a summer with no problems. It is a tight squeeze but can be done. The only reasons why we can do it are because we have an aft shower and cockpit wet bar, porti potty, camper canvas, and rear u shaped seat that has a fill in cushion. Without any one of these three things, I am not sure we could do it. The cuddy is too small for all four of us, so I sleep out on the rear seat. That means that I must have the camper canvas or I would be SOAKED in the morning. You need fresh water for sure, just makes things a whole lot easier in the morning with breakfast and teeth brushing, ect. If you can compensate for any of these things that you dont have (water and shower at marina), then you may be just fine. Just my two cents.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:25 pm 

I think to do that you'd want to have the camper canvas with screens which certainly is a nice addition. As far as sleeping on the boat when on a mooring, it really depends on the area where its moored, and how calm the water is. On a mooring the boat will always move with the tides and wind. If its a calm night not too cold or hot I can see doing it but if its windy you won't get any sleep. I have camped out on many Boy Scout camping trips but there the ground isn't moving usually ;)
I think the old style 215 is big enough that if you had an air mattress and a nice sleeping bag it would be pretty comfortable, but if the wave action keeps the boat moving all night, between the rocking and waves slapping against the hull it would be hard to sleep.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 pm 

LouC wrote:
I think to do that you'd want to have the camper canvas with screens which certainly is a nice addition. As far as sleeping on the boat when on a mooring, it really depends on the area where its moored, and how calm the water is. On a mooring the boat will always move with the tides and wind. If its a calm night not too cold or hot I can see doing it but if its windy you won't get any sleep. I have camped out on many Boy Scout camping trips but there the ground isn't moving usually ;)
I think the old style 215 is big enough that if you had an air mattress and a nice sleeping bag it would be pretty comfortable, but if the wave action keeps the boat moving all night, between the rocking and waves slapping against the hull it would be hard to sleep.

The mooring fields in the harbors I have looked at on the Vineyard are protected and so unless there is a strong wind, wave action shouldn't be an issue. The camper enclosure would definitely be nice! I have the original cover, which is a hybrid of a camper and mooring cover. Its in usable shape, but I am looking into prices for a local canvas shop to recreate it with new fabric and adding isinglass windows to the back (I have sides only) and making the section from bimini to windshield isinglass as well. Perhaps I can have them also make zip in screens as well! Thanks for the input everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:07 am 

I just looked up were Lewis Bay is and being from Winthrop I never heard of it before. Stupid question John, how rough can it get crossing that channel to Martha's Vineyard?? I have gone from Winthrop\Boston to Ptown and every time I have done it, it's been rough out there. Being a cruiser (taller) and 4 feet longer at some point I have always had to slow down. Hitting 3 to 4' waves and some times a 5 footer and getting soaked. I am in depths of +125 feet, were your more in the 40 to 60 feet can it make a difference?? On paper it should take 2 hrs, but it always takes me about 3hs or more doing headway at times waiting for calmer water to come up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 am 
Guppy

We have been to the Vineyard in my 210 from Bass River which is about another 3 or 4 miles further from Lewis Bay. It is an easy shot to the Vineyard and can be completed in less than an hour. It can get rough out there but you just need to pick your days. The sound is fairly protected and typically doesn't get overly rough. If one chooses to run closer to the coast you can avoid ever being more than a couple of miles off shore at any time.

Tow w/ 2011 Chevy Tahoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:06 pm 

ryang wrote:
We have been to the Vineyard in my 210 from Bass River which is about another 3 or 4 miles further from Lewis Bay. It is an easy shot to the Vineyard and can be completed in less than an hour. It can get rough out there but you just need to pick your days. The sound is fairly protected and typically doesn't get overly rough. If one chooses to run closer to the coast you can avoid ever being more than a couple of miles off shore at any time.

Exactly, and I keep the boat on a trailer mostly. Heading to the Vineyard, I would most likely launch in Mashpee or Falmouth. Nantucket Sound has typical southwesterly wind in the summer that pick up every afternoon. Early morning both directions will yield calmest waters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 pm 
Goldfish

I have had my family of 5 sleep on my four winns sundowner 225 before! 2 nights every weeked! That was before we got the 298. They are both 1999.