www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine Protection Mode
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 pm 
Guppy

All,

My 205 Sundowner appears to be dropping into engine protection mode. It is equipped with the 5.0FI Volvo Pentadrive.

From my research, my symptoms appear that the motor is dropping into EPM to protect itself. After reading about EPM, the motor will drop from its current state down to a max of 2,500RPM and will not allow the motor to engage anything higher until the fault state has cleared. From my reading, it looks like the main causes of the motor going into engine protection mode are as follows:
Oil Pressure Too Low
Engine Temp Too High (Water Temp)
Exhaust Temp Too High

When the issue occurs, my oil pressure and engine temp appear fine. I'm not sure how to check the exhaust temp however.

Any advice on checking exhaust temp would be great or any other ideas what would be causing the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Help us help you...put your boat info (year, model, engine/drive, location) in your signature line. This will keep others from having ask what ya have when you post.

As far as checking the exhaust temp, pick up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser-Sight/dp/B002YE3FS4

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 pm 
Guppy

Niagra, my apology, I'm new to the forum. My boat is actually the same model as yours. I've only had the boat about 9 months.

I have a temp gun similar to the one you posted a link to but what should I be running at during normal operation?

This issue has been plaguing me for a few weeks and getting rather annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

No apologies neccessary brother, new guys are always welcome, especially with fine boats such as yours (of course I'm biased a bit) 8)

Here is a thread discussing the various temps. (BTW, LouC always has excellent advice and should chime in shortly).

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10101&hilit=exhaust+temperature

Oh, BTW where ya boat at?

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:19 pm 
Guppy

I'm located in Northern Delaware. So I get to use the DE River, C&D Canal, Northern Chesapeake and the DE beaches.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 am 
Guppy

Well, it happened again this weekend.....

Temperature gauge on dash read norm.
Laser thermometer read in the 130-140 range on the manifold & risers.
Oil pressure was reading OK. Even tried disconnecting the oil pressure sensor.

The engine was surging a little bit when it occurred however. Felt like maybe misfiring in the ignition system. Thinking it needs new plugs/wires but could that be causing the major drop in the motor to 2500RPM?

What else makes this weird is that it almost always happens on the way home. Our normal routine is that we leave the marina and head south for about 30-40 minutes until we hit a beach or a cove and then anchor for a few hours. And on the way home, it almost always happens.

I'm stumped at this point....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm 
Guppy

If you cant get an answer here,

Try signing up for www.iboats.com forums

They have a Volvo Penta forum along with a ton of others.

Not saying this website is not helpful, but iboats has alomost 400,000 registered users and some amazing people to help.

Still I like this website Specific to fourwinns, I use Iboats Specific to engines, and electronics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 pm 
Minnow

I have the same issue and my boat is at the dealer. They thought they fixed it last week, replacing the distributer cap and rotar. Boat ran great on lake, same issue happend and now they are ordering spark plug wires. They said 2 cylendars are not firing for some reason. Plugs look fine.

I get 2500 locked rpms safe mode also. Idle fine, service mode and give it gas and revs up past 2500 no problem, sounds great, put the boat in gear and boom, locked at 2500 rpms. Smells like gas building up and cant get up on plane.

JPIMER...did you find a fix yet, I didn't see a follow up post.

Thanks,