www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 50A Fuse Keeps Blowing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 am 
Minnow

Hey All,

Just had my 1988 205 Sundowner out this weekend. We road around successfully with no issues for a good hour; pulling skiers, tubing, etc. We then anchored by the Presque Isle (Erie, PA) beaches and went for a walk on the beach. When we got back and went to leave here is where my problem started.

I turned the blower on like I always do before I start. It turned on fine, no problems. After a couple minutes I switched the Key from OFF to ON. The gauges all turned on and went to their normal starting locations and the depth sounder kicked on and lit up as well. When I turned the key to START the moter, it turned over for a split second and then everything went dead. There was/is no power to the front of the boat. Now when the key is in the ON position the blower will not work, the bilge will not turn on, no lights, no radio, will not turn over or even click.

I was lucky that I was out with a friend in an 84 Formula who towed me in. While we were getting towed, I started checking things as I suspected it was a wiring problem. the battery cables are all tight. I then was able to check the fuses on the motor wiring harnes. When looking at my OMC 4.3L there are two red wires with inline 50A fuses on them. I discovered that the one that blew was the right one. I'm guessing this wire sends power to the front of the boat? The left one is for the outdrive tilt. (I think). Anyways, I had an extra 50A fuse in the boat and installed it. The blower turned on immediatly and the gauges all worked again like normal. However, when i went to start it again, it blew instantly.

My guess is that I have a short somewhere. Would anyone know where to start looking?

Thanks for your input!

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome! Always glad to see another Sundowner join up. Been a lot of SD's of your vintage (1987-89) show up lately. Anyways, now about your short.

I'm no electrician, just a shade tree tinkerer, but I would start with the starter and all the wires that run to and from it. Its possible one has shorted. if that isn't it, time and patience (and beer) are your friends. Start running down high amp accessories until you find the short.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:22 am 
Minnow

Yes thats what I was going to do. I'm not sure where that wire comes from or where it heads yet but thats where i'm gonna start.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:56 am 
Minnow

Alright...still no luck finding a bare wire. Checked the switch, it looked fine with all wires tight and secure. All wires at the back seem in good shape but I need to do some more digging back there. Here's a question, could there be a problem with the starter assist/relay solenoid? (the one on top of the motor?) the wire with the inline fuse that keeps blowing goes from the starter solenoid to this relay/assist solenoid on the motor. What happens when that thing goes bad?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:29 pm 
Minnow

It may be the start assist solenoid, the starter solenoid or the starter.

To determine which one, disconnect the wire leading to the starter at the solenoid and turn the ignition switch. If the fuse blows, it is the start assist solenoid. If it does not blow, it is the wire leading to the starter, the starter solenoid or the starter. Reattach the wire at the solenoid, disconnect it at the starter and try starting it again to see if it is the wire. If it is the wire, run a new one of the same gauge and secure it to the outside of the existing harness.

If the starter has not been replaced recently, replace the whole thing, otherwise you could just replace the solenoid and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know what the solution was.

2001 Tandem Trail-Rite Bunk Trailer

1985 Bayliner Trophy 2160 Hardtop
Volvo AQ 125b/275
1985 Tandem EZ Loader Roller Trailer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 am 
Minnow

SeaTea--That is exactly what I needed to hear. I have traced and checked every wire I can find in the circuit with no luck. This is leading me to believe it is the Assist Solenoid. I replaced the entire starter including the starter solenoid at the begining of this year. Since replacing the starter I have taken the boat out more times than I can count--20+ times I bet. I am going to try your method to be sure before I go buy one. Thank you so much for the input. I will let you know (hopefully tonight) what I find out.