www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 am 
Guppy

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read my thread.
I just bought a 98 SD 225 with the 5.0 and VP/SX drive.
here are the questions I have.

Tips and tricks for the boat? (I.E engine updates, and prop combos I have the 14.5x19.)

I need a replacement cockpit cover ( beige or tan in color) but I don't wana pay 500 for one.

Guage cluster is Blah to me are there any kits to replace ?

GPS ?

while idling out and then giving it throttle to get up on plane there seems to be a dead spot in the pick up?

Thinking about adding a tower but I don't like the BIG 4 inch tube style. Are there any other options ?

Last of all AUDIO! we were out yesterday and this guy had 2 of them cone looking speakers on his wake board boat and man did it sound good!

Thanks
Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 am 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome! Always glad to see new SD owners joining up. Them Horizon and Vista guys think their so cool. 8)

Anyways, your questions (all of which have been asked by all of us at one time or another) will definately elicit a ton of varied responses. My best advice is to spend some time searching past posts, dozens and dozens of great tips and tricks are maintained here. Consider including your boat specs and where ya boat in your signature line. Will def help when giving advice if we don't have to keep asking "what kinda engine/drive" you got, or "where ya boat at?"

Oh, and post pics of your boat!! Again, welcome!

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:28 pm 

Hey now, us SL guys think we are cool too :D.
Welcome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm 

Ah, but the SL and Funshp guys are a whole 'nother level of cool...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:26 pm 

Lol!

Since we missed out Labour day crystal beach boating session, how the boating on the Niagara river? It always looks so good when I am crossing over the Queenston Lewiston bridge. I can hear it calling to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 pm 

So far the Niagara has been great. Lots of rain has the water levels up and crystal clear. Visibility out in front of Fort Niagara (on Lake Ontario) is about 10-15 feet, been doing lots of snorkling there. The river itself has been great, but a little chilly for swimming with temps at about 68-70 degrees. Current has been strong (3-5 knots), but there are a couple of spots where back eddys make it possible to throw anchor and chill for the afternoon.

Let me know if that calling gets to ya....I can meet ya anywhere around here. Beers on me!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm 

Read the H180 mods link thread in my signature, that will give ya some ideas

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:00 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 pm 
Guppy

Anyone have pix of where the installed a subwoofer on there boat? I am looking for ideas and where it would sound the best!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 am 
Tadpole

Hello,

I just joined this forum yesterday and have been browsing through old posts. I purchased a new SD 225 in '98 and owned it until 2004 when I upgraded to a SD 245. In a lot of ways the 225 was a better boat. I do almost all of my own upgrades and repairs, so let me share with you the things that I found with the SD 225 that I thought were design shortcomings and things that were problematic.

1. I loved the built in cooler. It was easy to access and doubled as the step up to the front deck. However, it wasn't insulated worth crap. We would start off the day with cold drinks and ice and by the end of the day we would have sodas floating around in the water left over from the melted ice. To fix this, I took off the access "box" to the cooler from inside the cuddy. I found that the "insulation" on the cooler was the same fuzzy covering that they had used on the ceiling of the cuddy. I peeled back this covering from the cooler and used some spray-on insulation that you can buy at any home improvement "big box" store. This was a bit tricky because if I made it too thick, it would just peel back and fall off. With a little trial-and-error, I was able to find the right amount (about 1-2" of insulation) While it was drying, I put the fuzzy covering back on. After this fix, it worked much-much better.

2. Inside the engine compartment, they continued to use the carpet that is also on the deck of the cockpit. Over time, the fuzzy nature of the carpet would get stuck and clog the spark arrestor on engine air intake. There's no real way to prevent this, but you do need to be mindful and clean this out every season or so.

3. Inside the cockpit along the side of the boat there are two levels of storage. The top level is poorly secured. They used simple "L" brackets with very small screws that secure to the hull. There's one "L" bracket in the center that was constantly pulling loose along with 1-2 "L" brackets at either end. (It's been 10 year since I sold the boat, so my memory is a little fuzzy.) In the center, I used an oversized "L" bracket with through stainless bolts for the storage area and then some larger, but short screws for attaching to the hull. I also used the same oversized "L" brackets at either end. These worked well and I never had a problem again.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have other questions. I've owned 3 different Four Winns boats over the past 19 years.

Kevin Blatter
k_blatter@yahoo.com