www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballast in Bow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Yeah, so winter has me looking at my boat all wrapped up, and the mind tends to wander. Here's my prob. When I got 4+ people onboard, I have a difficult time getting on plane unless I have a couple of them come forward. Here's my idea/solution. I was thinking about adding a couple of water filled bladders in the compartments under the seat cushions of the bow (down in the cuddy). I'm thinking it will add about 150 lbs to the bow, thus helping get on plane.

I don't have trim/smart tabs and really don't wanna add them. Any thoughts? Anyone tried this before?

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

Post subject: Re: Ballast in Bow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:52 pm 

Smart tabs are amazing, I've used them with 100% success.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:59 pm 

ric wrote:
Smart tabs are amazing, I've used them with 100% success.

Yeah, I know that's what I need, and would prob solve the problem, but I just ain't ready to drill holes below the waterline yet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 pm 

It's not an issue at all drilling holes. Just goop it up with a lot of 5200. They will never leak.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:51 pm 

I agree with Ric just bite the bullet and put tabs on. When you have the water ballast you may need to have the ability to empty them or you may find a low speeds you may have an issue with the bow riding to low in the water.
I have drilled many holes in a few boats below the water line and sealed them with no issues
You will find more pros to tabs then just getting on plane like when in heavy seas being able to push the nose down for a more comfy ride

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:09 am 

acguy wrote:
You will find more pros to tabs then just getting on plane like when in heavy seas being able to push the nose down for a more comfy ride

Hmmm, didn't think of that aspect. I do venture out on Ontario and sometimes the rollers are a bit much (feels like I'm riding an old standup style jetski). I would like the ability to smooth it out. Ok, I'll add tabs to my winter purchase list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:24 pm 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Yeah, so winter has me looking at my boat all wrapped up, and the mind tends to wander. Here's my prob. When I got 4+ people onboard, I have a difficult time getting on plane unless I have a couple of them come forward. Here's my idea/solution. I was thinking about adding a couple of water filled bladders in the compartments under the seat cushions of the bow (down in the cuddy). I'm thinking it will add about 150 lbs to the bow, thus helping get on plane.

I don't have trim/smart tabs and really don't wanna add them. Any thoughts? Anyone tried this before?

ADD the trim tabs, there MUCH lighter and will give you side to side control!! What if the bladder leakes?

Don't use 5200, use butyl.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:44 pm 
Shark

Trim tabs are a much better choice because they can be quickly adjusted on the fly. Are you going to add weight to get on plane and then drain them when underway? You want to lose your cuddy storage space so that you can carry lake water in your boat? When you sell your boat will you tell the prospective buyer that you selected a mechanical solution to common boat handling issue that 99.9999 percent of boaters have rejected. If I was considering buying you boat I would be thinking about the other unconventional methods you used on your boat and walk away.

Seriously reconsider trim tabs. They are wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 pm 

Obie wrote:
Trim tabs are a much better choice because they can be quickly adjusted on the fly. Are you going to add weight to get on plane and then drain them when underway? You want to lose your cuddy storage space so that you can carry lake water in your boat? When you sell your boat will you tell the prospective buyer that you selected a mechanical solution to common boat handling issue that 99.9999 percent of boaters have rejected. If I was considering buying you boat I would be thinking about the other unconventional methods you used on your boat and walk away.

Easy killer, I was just throwing it out there as an idea. If you read the whole thread, you will see that others have convinced me to go the tab way. In all actuality, I still think it is a doable idea. I am only looking at about 150lbs of water weight, less than an 1 adult. From playing around with weight distribution while underway, I found that having one of my passengers sit down in the cuddy helped immensily in getting on plane.

And as far as drainage, I was toying with the idea of running a line to my built in cooler, which has a built in drain. Oh, and the compartments in my SD are extremely small, I don't use them for anything anyways. Your 2006 might be bigger.

I realize that boating season is done for the majority of us, and we are all sad and grumpy, so here is a tip. After you write your post, read it aloud, if it sounds harsh, it will read even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:53 pm 

If you're concerned about drilling the holes, as long as you bed the screws properly in something like 3M 4200 or Lifeseal, you should be OK. I have installed 2 different transom mounted transducers over the years and used 4200 and when I remove the screws years later to re-bed them no water came out. If you want to be ultra cautious you can drill your holes then get a resin injection kit from
www.rotdoc.com and inject thinned epoxy (CPES) into the holes, let it cure and that will help seal the wood in your transom. My boat sits in the water 6 months at a time and like I said properly bedded holes don't have to leak.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:58 pm 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Obie wrote:

Easy killer, I was just throwing it out there as an idea. If you read the whole thread, you will see that others have convinced me to go the tab way. In all actuality, I still think it is a doable idea. I am only looking at about 150lbs of water weight, less than an 1 adult. From playing around with weight distribution while underway, I found that having one of my passengers sit down in the cuddy helped immensily in getting on plane.

And as far as drainage, I was toying with the idea of running a line to my built in cooler, which has a built in drain. Oh, and the compartments in my SD are extremely small, I don't use them for anything anyways. Your 2006 might be bigger.

I realize that boating season is done for the majority of us, and we are all sad and grumpy, so here is a tip. After you write your post, read it aloud, if it sounds harsh, it will read even worse.

+1

It wasn't that bad of an idea.

A friend of mine had an airplane model (Barron B-55) that is known for being "tail heavy". Two bags of lead shot from the sporting goods store, placed far forward in the nose compartment balances out against back seat passengers.

The same thing could help you as a temporary solution. 25 lbs of Lead Shot comes in a plastic bag wrapped in a canvas bag that is sown shut, so it's like a really heavy little bean bag. Two or three of those in your anchor locker would put them as far forward as possible, and so would make the most difference.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:53 pm 

Quote:
It wasn't that bad of an idea.

A friend of mine had an airplane model (Barron B-55) that is known for being "tail heavy". Two bags of lead shot from the sporting goods store, placed far forward in the nose compartment balances out against back seat passengers.

The same thing could help you as a temporary solution. 25 lbs of Lead Shot comes in a plastic bag wrapped in a canvas bag that is sown shut, so it's like a really heavy little bean bag. Two or three of those in your anchor locker would put them as far forward as possible, and so would make the most difference.

That is a stupendous idea!!!!
I was trying to think of something to try to balance out side to side for the battery. Never even thought about lead shot. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
Sometimes I get stuck on stupid.

not@work.gon
Happiness is an Empty Boat Trailer!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 pm 

LouC wrote:
If you're concerned about drilling the holes, as long as you bed the screws properly in something like 3M 4200 or Lifeseal, you should be OK.

I re-did the drain plug plate last summer, so I know I can do it, just gotta get over that first drillin' jitters.

rpengr wrote:
25 lbs of Lead Shot comes in a plastic bag wrapped in a canvas bag that is sown shut, so it's like a really heavy little bean bag. Two or three of those in your anchor locker would put them as far forward as possible, and so would make the most difference.

That IS an excellent idea, better than water bladders. I'm still planning on tabs, but that would be a good temp solution until I get them on. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 pm 

I did the weight thing on my Stingray. 60lb didn't make a dent. Anything over 4 people in the boat turned it into a roller coaster of porpoising. $120 in smart tabs and it drove perfectly with 8 people. It was such a drastic difference it was like buying a new boat.

My 215 has some issues getting on plane with 5+ people but that's due to having massive amounts of lead (batteries) in the aft. It might get some smart tabs come spring.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:26 am 

ric wrote:
My 215 has some issues getting on plane with 5+ people but that's due to having massive amounts of lead (batteries) in the aft.

Maybe you should add a fridge and microwave in the cuddy to go with the AC, that should even out your weight, lol.... 8)