www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:11 pm 
Goldfish

Hello All, Seems fairly quiet here during the winter months. Happy new year. Hunting season has ended here in Mass I am starting to look forward to summer and boating season. As I look out the window and watch the snow accumulate on my boat cover I am thinking of my upgrades and fixes on my list for 2014.

Has anyone done any bench testing of sensors, sending units, or gauges? I have several gauges that currently do not work and others I just don't trust. I just picked up a multimeter at my local auto parts store and would like to give it a try but am not sure of the best way to do it. Can they be tested on a bench or do they need to be hooked up to the boat? I do not want to work under the tarp in 10 degree weather.

My gauges consist of speed, tach, volts, temp, trim, fuel, oil PSI

Can you bench test sending units? Sensors? I'm sure there are a bunch that I can't even list or know what they do...

Any info would help, and posiibly cure winter bordom.

Thank you in advance, Corey

South Hadley, MA
Connecticut River Rat for life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If you're rocking 1994 gauges there's no reason to bother a test bench. They're bad. Faria and others make gauge kits that have everything you need. I did it to my H180. Easy and rewarding for a nice modern look.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Gages and sending units generally can be bench tested. The big question is what meter readings are within manufacturer's specifications. A word of caution: some delicate electronics may be harmed by just the current from an ohm meter. Having said that, you may be able to trace down manufacturer's specs for some of the components. The internet has some amazing info, and a lot of worthless info too. With others you may be able to determine if the gage or sensor is functioning without having specs. Your testing may not be completely accurate, but you may be able to eliminate some components during your troubleshooting. You didn't mention the type of boat, but keep in mind that fiberglass boats require a grounding system. It sometimes helps to run an additional ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the bus bar, and make sure that all hot and ground connections are good.

Keep in mind that if you can not fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem. :wink: But then again, Some electrical problems can be corrected with the use of a hammer.........and a trip to the parts store.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:45 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks for the info. I will probibly go ahead and buy the Faria set anyways. I like the Chesapeake SS set. I'm sort of a newbie to working on boats so as much as I am trying to get my boat to run correctly I am also trying to learn how to work through issues the dirty way. As soon as this Polar Vortex B.S. is over and the temps get back to above freezing on a regular basis I am going to get under the tarp and get to the dash.

I will document my efforts and get you some before and after pictures.

Has anyone attemped to pull the whole console in a '93's era Sundownder? I want to refinish the top grey part of the dash and also refinish the faceplate before I put in the new gauges. It seems to me that the top grey part that is designed to block the sun is made of foam and may be brittle do to its age. I wonder if Four Winns sells replacements?

Cheers,

Corey

South Hadley, MA
Connecticut River Rat for life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:13 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Check the gage manuf's website. I know Faria has a values table on there's and I believe the senders would be the same from one manuf to another. Definitely worth the time. Then again, a new gage set, with a cool new carbon-fiber looking vinyl back could be worth the money too.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.