www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 am 
Goldfish

hello
i am have had my 96 225 w/ 5.8 ford since september last year, I keep blowing out the exhaust riser boot hoses , which sprays water all over the engine ,third one in four months, not sure if its mechanics fault or boat issue. also the boat does not seem to reach full speed potential . I read that it should go 45mph but mine will plane and do 25 -28mph max. any help is appreciated, Thanks Roy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Something is causing pressure to build up in the exhaust system and forcing those hoses off. There is not supposed to be much pressure inside them, you have hot exhaust and water flow to cool the rubber hoses. I would think that the engine had a previous overheat that partially melted the rubber exhaust flapper part # 34 in this diagram and it is either not opening in the Y pipe or it melted fell down and is blocking the exhaust exit. There is one on each side, you'd have to remove the exhaust risers #35 and the elbows #38 and the hoses to check this. You must drain the water out of the exhaust manifold before removing the riser or else you can get water in a cylinder. If they are still in the normal position they are not hard to replace but if they dropped down in the exhaust Y pipe you might need to remove the outdrive to get them out. Its interesting to note that later models of OMC and Volvo eliminated these flappers because this can happen after an overheat. However, on some boats they did serve a useful function by preventing water from coming back up the exhaust under certain conditions. At any rate that is your most likely cause.....Here is the diagram....

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-ev ... /56696.cfm

Your performance issue may be partially related to this, if the exhaust is truly blocked, but there can be a number of other causes, is the engine carb'ed or EFI to start with?
A common but not so well known cause of such problems is a rusted sticky anti siphon valve on the gas tank. I had this problem on mine. Fuel vent is another, but but the whole fuel system and the ignition system may need to be gone through. The boat IS 18 years old at this point....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:32 pm 

First off, welcome! Always like to see other SD owners join up. As to your prob, I think LouC is right on target with the flapper.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:02 pm 

I also recommend checking the flapper valves. My '95 H190 with a 5.0 EFI OMC(Ford) had this problem at about 300 hours. One flapper valve came unattached, went down the Y-pipe to the transom, and caused enough exhaust restriction to give similar performance results to what you are describing. The engine ran smoothly, but would not develop power. You say that you keep blowing these riser hoses. Remove the elbows and check the top ends of the Y-pipe for the presence and proper installation of the flapper valves. It almost sounds like a valve is installed wrong. Look for worn or missing bushings or worn mounting holes in the Y-pipe. If they are missing you can probably find them at the bottom of the Y-pipe. With the boat on the trailer and the drive trimmed all the way up and turned to one side, one end of the exhaust bellows can be disconnected. Use a flashlight to look for these valves. If you find a valve, it must go back up the Y-pipe to be removed. You can usually fish them out with a 3 to 4 foot piece of wire and an assistant. I also recommend removing the anode under the transom shield to look for a pin for a flapper valve. I found a missing pin when I pulled my anode.

If you choose to reinstall these flapper valves the new pins and bushings are pretty cheap (or at least they were when I did it). OMC/Volvo sold a drill fixture tool ($100 in the late '90s) that you put in the top of the Y-pipe on each side, rotate it to a different direction, and drill new holes. If you are careful and creative, you may be able to do it with out the tool. Deburr the holes, glue the new bushings in place, and reinstall the pins and valves. Be sure to position the rubber connectors to cover any new or old holes so you don't have a water leak.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

Last edited by Surface Interval on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:44 pm 

LouC wrote:
...I would think that the engine had a previous overheat that partially melted the rubber exhaust flapper part # 34 in this diagram and it is either not opening in the Y pipe or it melted fell down and is blocking the exhaust exit.

...Your performance issue may be partially related to this, if the exhaust is truly blocked,...

Surface Interval wrote:
I also recommend checking the flapper valves. My '95 H190 with a 5.0 EFI OMC(Ford) had this problem at about 300 hours. The loose flapper valve caused enough exhaust restriction to give the same performance results you are describing. The engine ran smoothly, but would not develop power...

Yes, if your exhaust is partially blocked, you will definitely lose power even though the engine will run smoothly. It is pretty much the same as if your throttle was not opening all the way. If exhaust air cannot get out of the engine, than new fuel/air cannot get in to replace it. I have experienced this first hand with an engine with a blockage in a corroded muffler.

But I have never heard of the exhaust hoses blowing off. Let me ask a silly question... are there two hose clamps on each joint of the hoses?

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm 

Ray. Yes, the OMC/Volvo exhaust system does use two hose clamps at each connection....four clamps per hose.

Roy, there are two hoses on each side. You say you blew three of them. Did any newly replaced hoses blow? If not, you might think about changing the one that is still original. The added back pressure and possible additional exhaust heat from a blockage might be causing an older hose to blow. If you are blowing hoses I am almost certain it is due to flapper valves either being installed wrong or becoming unattached and causing a significant blockage in the transom area of the exhaust system.

My boat was 2 to 3 years old with 260-410 hours when I battled this for almost a year. I had it into the dealer at least twice and they could not find anything. They even said the loss of 4-500 rpm and 12-14 mph on top end was still within normal limits. They eventually told me to call the factory (nice warranty service, huh?). The Four Winns factory guy asked a lot of questions, offered some other possibilities, and suggested flapper valves during our 45 minute call.

Once you get the boat running properly you will be surprised with the difference. Our H190 with the 5.0 EFI would normally top in the low 50s, even after 2000 hours. With the flapper valve problem the boat struggled to get on plane, would not pull an adult on a tube, and would only get in to the upper 30s for top end.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:39 am 
Goldfish

Thanks everyone for the replies, I forgot to mention it is just the port side boot that keeps bursting, when it happened the first time I took it in to the shop to get fixed and they showed me the risers should be replaced ,so I have new risers installed and two new boots, and then it blew again right away after launching (the second time) they replaced it once more and it lasted two months and same one blew again. Also you are right about the boat does not reach full speed and hard to plane I am a new boat owner but still it doesnt feel right, you sound right on th money with the flapper, I can only get 28 - 30 mph
with a 5.8 efi >>/?/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:02 am 
Goldfish

the boat is a 1996 225 sundowner cuddy 5.8 ford volvo penta Sx 560 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:32 am 

The most likely cause of this is so obvious that its hard to imagine that the mechanics did not check that.

I think it is possible, though not common, for the flappers to stick in the closed position, which for sure could cause your problem. They have to move easily enough so that just the water coming out will open them.

The other thing is I thought of, is that did they check the risers on BOTH sides, if one was clogged and the other was open and the flapper on the open side stuck closed, all the force of the water would tend to wind up on that side, which again could cause your problem. You need to make sure there is no restriction anywhere in the exhaust, on either side, or in the Y pipe.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 am 

There is a Volvo Penta Service bulletin relating to these flappers; basically they are not needed ( not effective in preventing water ingress) and can be removed/ the holes sealed. It's bulletin 25-2. 5. 01.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/jpg/Flapper%20Parts%20Bull.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:47 am 
Goldfish

thanks guys , i will print this info and give to my mechanic today. LIke you said it should be pretty obvious what the problem is after the third hose, I really appreciate the feedback. If it wasnt under warranty I wouldnt bring it back to this place :roll: