www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belt Number Help?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:20 am 
Guppy

I've been searching all over trying to find alternator belt number for 1996 ford 5.0L EFI (22.5ft Sundowner). Mine broke and was thrown away before I could get number off of it. I went to two vovlo shops and they keep giving me a belt that is to small but they say thats the only part number they show. The alternator belt should go around alternator, water pump pulley, and crank. Could any please supply me with a belt number that is working for you if not I'll have to play the back forth guessing game @auto parts store. THanks

Post subject: Re: Belt Number Help?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:42 am 
email admin your custom rank

First, don't go to a VP parts store for a belt. They will charge you out the wazoo for an auto belt that you can get at any auto parts store. I have the same year FW and the 5.0 Ford. I am not at my boat right now, so I can't get the number for ya, but I know AutoZone has them, it is where I got mine.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Always great to see a new Sundowner join up. Tell us about yourself, where ya boat, and such. Annnnnd pics, gotta see pics of your boat.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:41 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the welcome! I boat in Michigan (Lake St. Clair and Huron). Im very lucky that my father in law lives on Harsens Island so keep my boat in his canal. This is actually the first boat I have ever owned, so doing a lot of research and self teaching. Still trying to figure out the whole pic, signature, avatar section.

I went to autozone for belt and explained to them it has to go around the three pulleys, so the guy try giving me a serpentine belt but I need a V-belt. Just thought if someone happen to have boat @ house could get the number, then take that to autozone. I guess my other option will maybe use a string to go around and then measure length or get length of ps belt because it is just a little bigger than that. I appreciate everyones help and look foward to meeting some new boat members.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 am 

rcutino23 wrote:
so the guy try giving me a serpentine belt but I need a V-belt.

Thats a shame, most of the guys that work at my local Autozone are very knowlegable. You might try NAPA, they have a Marine dept/catalog and can look up Volvo parts numbers. Or use the ole clothesline around the pulleys trick for a measurement. If you do that make sure to take the measurement with the alternator at about the halfway position in its bracket, that way you have some play either way when you put the new belt on.

Pics are easiest if you store them in an online album like photobucket. Signature pics are touchy, they have to be a certain size to fit.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:32 pm 

Even tho that's a Volvo, you can look up the part in an OMC catalog (because the 94-98s were basically identical from OMC to Volvo).
http://www.crowley marine.com
Look in the OMC/Evirude/Johnson parts section on the left side of the screen.
If you take that OMC # to NAPA they may be able to cross reference it.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-ev ... /56696.cfm

part # 57?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:18 am 
Guppy

Thanks for website links. There is a napa right by house but looks like I have to order it. Says it is a 41in belt not not sure if long enough but I'll give it a try. Next time I'll take care of this before putting boat away cause it's starting to get nice and the itch to get out on the water is setting in.