www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter issue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:09 pm 
Minnow

I was on my Sundowner 205, with a 5.0L VP SX, today and when I backed off the throttle after cruising for a little bit the motor died. When I went to start it the starter would engage but was not catching anything. I found the you tube video that makes the exact same sound, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=334BgS6GusQ . Unfortunately the video has zero information on what the problem is and what to do about it. Anybody have an idea?

I can't really tell at this point if I have a larger issue with the motor since I can't get it to turn over. One thing at a time.

Post subject: Re: Starter issue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

In the vid it sounds like a defective starter, but if yours makes just a 'clunk' noise and does not crank the engine, its possible that you sucked in water up the exhaust and hydrolocked the engine. It would not crank because of water in the cylinder. If you can try removing the spark plugs and see if they have water on them. Then try cranking the engine over and if it cranks, but water shoots out of the spark plug holes, you hydrolocked the motor slowing down. Does this boat sit low in the water in the stern?
If its not water, then the starting system needs to be gone through. It could be a bad solenoid, or starter Bendix drive. I would start by making sure you have 12v at the big positive terminal on the solenoid. Then hook up a volt meter to the yellow/red wire's terminal on the solenoid (pos to the terminal neg to ground) while someone tries to crank the engine (watch yourself around the drive belts). If you get 12v there and no crank, its the solenoid or starter, if no 12v there then its in the assist solenoid (not all engines have this) or the ignition switch itself. Good luck troubleshooting.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:14 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the starting point. I pulled my plugs and they were soaked. I tried to turn the engine over and still the starter just made noise. I then removed the fresh water intake pump and put a 15mm socket on the splined shaft and gave the engine a few turns manually. The water then pumped out of each cylinder with each manual turn of the crank. I sprayed a little PB Blaster in each cylinder to displace any remaining water. I purchased and installed new plugs. I put everything back together and it turned over. It took a bit but then it finally caught and started running again. :lol:

Unfortunately, there seems to be a dead spot in my starter gears seem to have a dead spot. So the next time I tried to start it the starter just made noise. So I pulled the water intake again, put the ratchet to it and manually turned the engine a little. The starter then was able to engage and start the engine. I don't want to keep pulling the water intake every time I land on this dead spot. Does anybody know of an other way to manually turn the crank a little bit with very few tools?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:17 pm 

I think you need a new starter (it probably got a burned section on the commutator trying to start a hydrolocked engine). More importantly you need to figure out how the water got in there. I always thought Volvo getting rid of the flappers was a bad idea. Some members have fitted a flapper like the ones used on through the transom exhausts to Volvos and this might be a good way to go.
I'd take the exhaust apart to see if water is getting in through a failed gasket between the riser and manifold, or if the risers or manifolds have rusted through.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:25 pm 

Hope it is your starter and not missing teeth on the flywheel! :x