www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1987 195 Sundowner....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I haven't posted in a long time, partly because I have been getting my boat water-worthy (won't be taking it on the sea!). I bought the boat for $300 and it has ZERO rot, the interior/upholstery is in decent shape, just needs to be cleaned up, carpet vaccumed etc...It is the two tone blue and is oxidized badly so this winter Ill get it buffed and polished. The trailer is very good etc... The only things was the OMC 4.3 had cracked block so I replaced it with a vortec 4.3, with the 4 bbl according to engine guy it should make 235hp. It has a 14x19p prop. With me, my wife and full tank of gas; what kind of WOT speed you think I should look for? I ask, not because I need to go really fast but because if I know Im not hitting no where near that speed, something is wrong. What about RPM?

I used to have the same boat with a 3.7 and it might get to 35 but that engine was....special. I really like the hull though, what a sweet riding boat!!

I cant wait to get this thing on the water! Just a couple more things to do...set timing and replace power steering hoses OH and change L/U oil.

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:37 pm 

Just a general guess:
If you really get that much horsepower, I would guess you will need to go to a 21p prop, and should get mid to high 50's mph. However, you probably should lower that HP expectation a little since I/O's are rated at the propshaft, not the engine, so you loose a percentage to the gears. So you might be 210-220 HP

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:53 pm 

rpengr wrote:
Just a general guess:
If you really get that much horsepower, I would guess you will need to go to a 21p prop, and should get mid to high 50's mph. However, you probably should lower that HP expectation a little since I/O's are rated at the propshaft, not the engine, so you loose a percentage to the gears. So you might be 210-220 HP

Oh most definitely, 235 is at the crank, not the prop but I would like 210-220 should still move me fairly well? Either way, I get prepared to try out a different prop. Other than that piece of doodoo 3.7 (that I actually only used about 3 times, short trips) I've never had a stern drive so it'll be fun to have something different. Especially happy about the I/O situation since I didn't want to have an outboard on our ski/wake board boat

Thanks rpengr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:11 am 

204Angler wrote:
Oh most definitely, 235 is at the crank, not the prop but I would like 210-220 should still move me fairly well? Either way, I get prepared to try out a different prop. Other than that piece of doodoo 3.7 (that I actually only used about 3 times, short trips) I've never had a stern drive so it'll be fun to have something different. Especially happy about the I/O situation since I didn't want to have an outboard on our ski/wake board boat

Thanks rpengr

It will move you great. I used to have a 19' cuddy with 170HP that did about 43mph, so I think you will be in the 50's. I would still guess you would need a 21p prop, but you can try it out with your 19p, just do not over-rev the engine.

If you want prop recommendations from there, then read this:
rpengr wrote:
It is good to post the following to get prop recommendations:
.. Current Prop pitch, diameter and condition
.. RPM at WOT (Wide open throttle) with boat trimmed properly.
.. Recommended maximum RPM for your engine
.. Speed at WOT, using a GPS
.. Load in boat at time of test, including fuel level
.. What is important: Speed vs hole-shot vs fuel consumption
.. Drive Type

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:43 am 

You'll want to be in the mid 50's at least, and with that 4bbl you'll want a prop pitch so you reach around 4900-5000 RPM at WOT.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 am 

So, I'll see you out on Harris Lake sporting a rooster tail, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:00 pm 

Rpengr, thanks for posting the prop inquiry details. I'll make sure and gather that information before I ask for prop recommendations. Good to hear I should scoot along just fine too!

ric wrote:
You'll want to be in the mid 50's at least, and with that 4bbl you'll want a prop pitch so you reach around 4900-5000 RPM at WOT.

Ok, so if I am not at least in the 50's by time I hit 4900-5000 rpm WOT, Ill definitely need to be looking at a prop with more bite. One thing I like about the deal I got on this boat, is the previous owner gave me everything he had for the boat, bimini top, full enclosure (small panels but hey, Ill take it!), all the maintenance history receipts, anchor, fenders, buoy etc... even a brand new 19P 3 blade prop. So maybe if I do need a higher pitch I can sell the brand new one, keep the used one for a spare.

kd4pbs wrote:
So, I'll see you out on Harris Lake sporting a rooster tail, right?

Yes sir, you just might! I don't know about a rooster tail (I hope so, that'd be cool!) but my wife and are on that lake a lot....well, not now, but we will be! If you see a blue sundowner out there with a big tall dude behind it trying to wakeboard...that's me!

Thanks gents. Looking forward to getting everything buttoned up and getting on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:10 am 

Ok, so I'm an idiot. I lied to y'all. The prop that is ON the boat is a 21P...so that tells me it is the ideal prop since the previous owner was somewhat meticulous it appears. However, my brand new spare that I've got IS a 19P. My question is; Should I sell that spare (brand new, never installed 14 1/4x 19P) and get a good SS 21p (if in fact that is the best prop size) or are aluminum props preferable on these boats? I know or my bass boat I used to have and my big Wellcraft I currently have, SS props are the way to go. I assume that doesn't change for a ski boat so I apologize if that's a stupid question.

One more question about this boat. Will it make a good ski/wakeboard/play boat? Or are they more for just cruising? The lakes I go to I don't see closed bow boats and where I am from (Seattle) everyone had closed bow/cuddy boats because you don't want a bow rider in lake Union or the Puget Sound. I know you can ski or wakeboard behind just about anything but...just curious if it will be ideal or if I may want to look at getting a bow rider in the future?

Thanks all...sorry for the questions. I have always just had fishing boats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:46 pm 

Stainless is the only way to go. Good stainless from Mercury Marine, not a crappy Solas or Michigan Wheel.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 am 

ric wrote:
Stainless is the only way to go. Good stainless from Mercury Marine, not a crappy Solas or Michigan Wheel.

Roger that. Ill wait and see how the current one does than go that route. Thanks Ric. I have learned my lesson on Michigan Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:30 am 

204Angler wrote:

Yes sir, you just might! I don't know about a rooster tail (I hope so, that'd be cool!) but my wife and are on that lake a lot....well, not now, but we will be! If you see a blue sundowner out there with a big tall dude behind it trying to wakeboard...that's me!

We'll keep our eyes peeled for you; look for an all white Vista with black canvas; name on the back is "Knot Me".

Incidentally, the boat I had a few years back was a 21' cuddy with a 5 liter, and it was an excellent wake/ski/fishing boat -- good for everything but not excelling at any one thing except enjoyment, and that was with a family of four. All I had to do was put a folding chair on the bow and could fish for hours in the local lakes. With the high-5 prop, she'd yank my arms off pulling me up on the wakeboard. The cuddy was great to sleep in overnight, and if I wanted to go fast, her 45-ish MPH top speed was more than quick enough for my purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:17 pm 

Ok cool, yeah we'll keep our eyes open for your boat. I am still working through a couple bugs but should be on the water within a couple weeks. My wife is redoing the cushions in the cuddy and I've been trying to get the timing dialed in and update/replace a couple things.

That is all we need for now. Something we can wakeboard and cruise in, use the cuddy to get out of the sun etc... Luckily, I don't have to rely on this boat for fishing too. This is just our "blow some steam" boat.

Which ramp do you launch from? We use crosspoint ramp, the one off of 42.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am 

We go to the same one. The one off of Avent Ferry Road is about 15 minutes closer for me, but there's zero chance of me getting in & out with this boat. I'm thankful they upgraded the Crosspoint ramps! Perhaps one day they will decide to do the same at Avent Ferry. Then again, that one is always jam packed, so it might be wise to continue going to Crosspoint anyway.