www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:04 pm 
Tadpole

HI all, just bought my "new" 2006 sundowner 215 with the 350 Mag MPI. I'm estatic, simply love this craft. Will be selling my 1997 Bayliner 2050 SS bow front next spring to help pay for this.
here's my question, at least my first question here.
I've been doing a ton of research on Gelcoat restore. My boat is in pristine shape it was very well maintained but it sat in a lake most of it's life and it appears that the starboard side of the boat has very big lines (2 to 5 inches) of long UV damage. At least that's what I think it is, it litterally goes from the dark blue navy to light blue. It almost seems like someone did a really bad job waxing the boat, missed huge long areas, then left it in the sun to bake and have the gelcoat lighten. (i'll get pictures up here in a few days).

the boat is still quite new, even my bayliner doesn't have paint this bad though (it's red and white).
Am I missing something, is there any other way other than wet sanding to bring these areas back to original dark blue? I plan on taking it to professionals this coming spring.
I've already used McGuires oxidation remove, and even the 3M oxidation and wax with a power head but nothing changes. I've removed all of the regular damage but these long streaky spots will not change. Even if I spend tons of time on one area to see if it will change nothing changes. It almost seems like the paint was painted with different colors.
I'm so impressed with the way they built this boat I find that point non-existent. But honestly that's exactly what it looks like. THe Port side is fine but also has some imperfections but very small in comparison.
Anyone else experience anything like this ?

thanks all, glad to be here on this forum. I absolutely love my new boat !!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

svenhalen wrote:
HI all, just bought my "new" 2006 sundowner 215 with the 350 Mag MPI. I'm estatic, simply love this craft. Will be selling my 1997 Bayliner 2050 SS bow front next spring to help pay for this.
here's my question, at least my first question here.
I've been doing a ton of research on Gelcoat restore. My boat is in pristine shape it was very well maintained but it sat in a lake most of it's life and it appears that the starboard side of the boat has very big lines (2 to 5 inches) of long UV damage. At least that's what I think it is, it litterally goes from the dark blue navy to light blue. It almost seems like someone did a really bad job waxing the boat, missed huge long areas, then left it in the sun to bake and have the gelcoat lighten. (i'll get pictures up here in a few days).

the boat is still quite new, even my bayliner doesn't have paint this bad though (it's red and white).
Am I missing something, is there any other way other than wet sanding to bring these areas back to original dark blue? I plan on taking it to professionals this coming spring.
I've already used McGuires oxidation remove, and even the 3M oxidation and wax with a power head but nothing changes. I've removed all of the regular damage but these long streaky spots will not change. Even if I spend tons of time on one area to see if it will change nothing changes. It almost seems like the paint was painted with different colors.
I'm so impressed with the way they built this boat I find that point non-existent. But honestly that's exactly what it looks like. THe Port side is fine but also has some imperfections but very small in comparison.
Anyone else experience anything like this ?

thanks all, glad to be here on this forum. I absolutely love my new boat !!!

I had a similar thing on my 2004 Sundowner with the red gelcoat, near the bow; after each season there would be a distinct demarcation line visible, with one side significantly more faded than the other. Each year I'd machine cut and polish it and the line would go, only to start to return after a few weeks. This happened regardless of which UV protective wax I used. I can only assume they'd used 2 lots of red gel coat, one with a significantly different level of UV stabilizer in it. The only solution would have been to paint it; I decided to live with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:39 pm 

My whole boat was a mess of blotchy old gelcoat, that's why I finally got it painted. A lot of money but it looks great and much less maintenance than a colored gelcoat.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 pm 

LouC wrote:
My whole boat was a mess of blotchy old gelcoat, that's why I finally got it painted. A lot of money but it looks great and much less maintenance than a colored gelcoat.

When I mentioned the differential fading to the lads in the boatyard, they pointed out a 12 year old boat that had been painted once since new with an aliphatic isocyanate based PU red paint ; no fading or colour variation. I swear I could see a difference in the gloss level of the red gelcoat on my previous boat within a few days or even hours of cutting/ polishing it ! If I decide to hang on to the current boat once the EVC problems are resolved, it will be painted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:16 pm 

Red Imron, beautiful stuff...

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:23 am 

LouC wrote:
Red Imron, beautiful stuff...

After reading about painting on this forum, I am having the boot stripe painted on my 278 in a few weeks. I am super excited to not have to buff it out every other week during the summer! More time for fun and less maintenance. I was told by the guy that it would be epoxy based paint and not Imron. I guess Imron is still available, but is no longer the best stuff on the market??

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:32 am 

If I had the money I'd imron the exterior of my boat in a heartbeat.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:07 am 

Imron is one of the best; it was developed to paint big commercial trucks and aircraft. But it's is also one of the most toxic, requiring special safety equipment for spraying.
Personally I'd NEVER get another colored gelcoat boat. White with no stripes or tape graphics. The only way to do stripes is Imrom or Algrip/Alcraft.
Formula boats does all their graphics in Imron. That's why they look great years later.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:27 am 

LouC wrote:
Imron is one of the best; it was developed to paint big commercial trucks and aircraft. But it's is also one of the most toxic, requiring special safety equipment for spraying.
Personally I'd NEVER get another colored gelcoat boat. White with no stripes or tape graphics. The only way to do stripes is Imrom or Algrip/Alcraft.
Formula boats does all their graphics in Imron. That's why they look great years later.

I will try to get the name/brand of the stuff he is using. There are forum discussions on other sites about Imron being the paint of the past and the new Urethane paints of today that are far more advanced. My conversation with a couple of different sources indicated that Urethane painting in the 70's was not reliable for long lasting finish. I have heard that Imron is more expensive, but only due to how toxic it is to use and dispose of. Star Jet is the company here in Ohio that will be doing the work for me. The owner, Dick Cahill, told me that he would use Imron if I wanted him to. He was not offering the same warranty on it as the Epoxy/urethane based paints.

Sorry to derail things! I am trying to get educated on this stuff, so I dont make the wrong decision myself.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:14 pm 

Isn't Imron a polyurethane paint based on aliphatic isocyanates ( hence it's UV stable but toxic)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:59 pm 

I believe so

2008 Walker Bay 8