www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I think the problem we are having here is that he is looking at it simply from the point of view of how little outlay he has in it financially, NOT how well the finished product will actually work as far as being reliable. Those with experience were trying to point this out but sometimes you gotta learn in the school of hard knocks. Or as I used to say, I got my Ph.D. in the University, but got my engineering degree underneath old cars and in the bilge of old boats lol. PS the Ph.D. took less time....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:43 am 

4windancer195 wrote:
got $250 back from the guy who sold me the boat, into it for $750 now, bought my new motor for $550 net cost of $300, outdrive seal and bellows kit $150, Bilge pump $15, january swapping the motor in for $400. floors transom outdrive gimbal bearing gas tank everything else good.

Ok, sounds like you've got "minimal" investment so far. But there are some things about that particular engine that will need addressing. I have a buddy and a neighbor with that exact engine setup, and I've already mentioned some things they had to fix/replace, as have others. So given that you have stated that you are "done with this forum", the question is, do you want advice, or are you just gonna post updates and live and learn on your own?

Everyone here is more than willing to help a guy out, but we won't sugar coat stuff just to make ya feel better. One thing you have to remember is that sometimes written words "sound" harsher than they really are (well, except ric, but we like him anyways :lol: ).

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:11 am 

I was there, ready to pull the trigger on a nice boat for a few grand that "only had a small soft spot near the back of the boat" The new owner just put it on craigslist, for $300. Motor is blown, and that soft spot is a big spot of rot. At least he is honest about it.

If one person told me that my boat was crap, I might tell them to take a hike. But when multiple people say a boat is trouble, I would start to listen.

That said - this guy will either have a great boat that he likes and is as reliable as can be... Or he can be that guy tying up the dock for an hour trying to figure out why his boat won't run.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:25 am 

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 am 
Shark

NiagaraChillin wrote:
(well, except ric, but we like him anyways :lol:

Not sure that is the feeling of all members of this entire message board. Take a look at some of the original members
and big contributors on this board over the years. Many have left, many just don't bother to even post any longer here.
Regardless of what brand boat they currently own. And it is not just because they "move on" or "life changes"
This site was once a good resource for daily boating information, now it is nothing more than a social media outlet,
disguised as a boating message board. It's a shame. Thankfully, some of the good information that was shared here in previous years is still available with the "search" function.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:25 am 

Tons of good information is posted here. I think I have a 20+ page thread describing how to work on and do things to an H180 with pictures to guide you including gauge cluster upgrades, stereo upgrades, and much more. There's a link in my signature.

I haven't posted much as far as repair guides go, because nothing on my boat needs repair in the last year. It did have an ignition defect which mercury makes an upgraded part to fix the issue, and I posed that earlier this year with pics and instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:21 am 

afw200 wrote:
NiagaraChillin wrote:

Not sure that is the feeling of all members of this entire message board. Take a look at some of the original members
and big contributors on this board over the years. Many have left, many just don't bother to even post any longer here.
Regardless of what brand boat they currently own. And it is not just because they "move on" or "life changes"
This site was once a good resource for daily boating information, now it is nothing more than a social media outlet,
disguised as a boating message board. It's a shame. Thankfully, some of the good information that was shared here in previous years is still available with the "search" function.

Eh, everyone has their own opinions on stuff. I've said it many times here, that there isn't anyone on this forum I wouldn't raft up to and have a beer with. The trick is, you just can't take what's written here too literally. Some people tend to write how they talk, and that sometimes doesn't translate very well to the person reading it.

But I do disagree that this forum is just a social media outlet, questions still get answered, links provided, tips, tricks, and work-arounds are plenty. Just because the posts don't read like a shop manual, doesn't mean it isn't useful. Sure, when winter is upon us, we tend to get a bit silly in the things we post, no harm there. We're just trying to pass the time til the first splash of spring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:44 am 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
afw200 wrote:
NiagaraChillin wrote:

Eh, everyone has their own opinions on stuff. I've said it many times here, that there isn't anyone on this forum I wouldn't raft up to and have a beer with. The trick is, you just can't take what's written here too literally. Some people tend to write how they talk, and that sometimes doesn't translate very well to the person reading it.

But I do disagree that this forum is just a social media outlet, questions still get answered, links provided, tips, tricks, and work-arounds are plenty. Just because the posts don't read like a shop manual, doesn't mean it isn't useful. Sure, when winter is upon us, we tend to get a bit silly in the things we post, no harm there. We're just trying to pass the time til the first splash of spring.

Yup, plenty of good info/advice on here if you ignore Ric's posts. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:32 am 

well i wish the best of luck to that little 3 liter and hope that you have a strong 30 foot tow rob and your bow eye is sturdy.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:14 pm 

ric wrote:
You're talking to the guy that bought a 2000 H180 for $1200 that was cosmetically and mechanically perfect.

Ric.. Come'on now.. we all know that your boat had a screw loose between the seat and the steering wheel.. lol :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:47 pm 

Toddely wrote:
ric wrote:
You're talking to the guy that bought a 2000 H180 for $1200 that was cosmetically and mechanically perfect.

Ric.. Come'on now.. we all know that your boat had a screw loose between the seat and the steering wheel.. lol :wink:

I think there could be a couple academic papers written on the looseness of those screws :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:19 pm 

out of the 6 pages and 86 replies there is probably not one full page of real help . its fine to do a little ribbing ,but six pages ? there is less pages on good repair posts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:55 am 

There is no help or advice to be had for that engine except recycle it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:18 am 

crossram wrote:
out of the 6 pages and 86 replies there is probably not one full page of real help . its fine to do a little ribbing ,but six pages ? there is less pages on good repair posts

Well, some of that had to do with the OP bowing (see what I did there) out early on, nature abhors a vacuum, so everybody made use of the space.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:42 pm 

crossram wrote:

Actually I gave him the best advice I could, which was if he wanted to stick with this boat, don't waste any more money on a no longer supported engine, stick with the Alpha drive but drop in a 4.3 V6. Its a 19 foot boat, it needs more than a 4 cyl anyway. Yes it takes a bit more work since you have to get the V6 Y pipe for the exhaust, and fabricate front engine mounts. But that is the right way to go. Sometimes the right way is not the most convenient. He seemed hell bent on sticking with an engine that Merc themselves gave up on. Why would anyone advise him to do that?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next