www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 pm 
Guppy

The one thing my boat dosent have is a GPS depth finder, was wondering what people are using out there for around the 400-500 range. I looked at a Garmin 50s but felt it might be a little much for what I need any one using something good thats afforadble?

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:33 pm 
Guppy

[imgImage][/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:22 am 
email admin your custom rank

To ensure you get the right unit for you, the first questions will be what is your intended use or expectations.

Are you simply looking to have a decent depth finder, and a GPS that you can use to log way points?
Do you have interest in map or chart overlays, and are they available for your boating area?
Are you looking for a serious fish finder, or a reliable depth sounder?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:33 am 

To above, so very true.

I like the bigger screen, more so when the boat is being bounced around. Were not on sail boats, so it makes it harder to read and we need faster screen updates.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:11 pm 
Guppy

I would like a 5 inch screen with a good depth and area GPS on it so traveling back in to the dock at night would be a bonus also like the built in tide feature ive seen some units have. I appreciate the help everyone but with so many choices I dont mind spending the money on somethings that work well so its money well spent

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:08 pm 

On the style of boat you have the Garmin 441S will fit nicely and it works great for GPS and fishfinding. I have one on my boat that is linked to the VHF for emergency calls. Anything bigger is tough to fit under the windshield on the smaller boats if that's where you want to put it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:52 pm 
Shark

I have a Garmin 536s chartplotter and sounder. It includes the 5-inch screen you are looking for and a dual frequency sounder. It is perfect for my Sundowner. I wrote a review of this unit under the GPS section some time ago. It offers many many ways to display information that you can customize for your particular style of boating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:51 pm 

I had a Lowrance elite 5 on my last boat and I loved it. The only beef I had with it was the regeneration speed when zooming or panning around a chart. That said, that was an older style unit, and Lowrance now has an HDS 5 Generation 2 unit that I test drove on a friends boat. It is very fast and priced between $500 and $600 provided you stick with the regular sonar. This unit is also capable, at a price, to preform some pretty amazing sonar imaging.

My Elite 5 had a great quick release mount that allowed me to remove it in under 20 seconds, and stash it in my hiding spot when we were not on the boat

I will be purchasing a lowrance hds 7 Touch in the spring for the new boat. I really like their software layouts and mapping options.

I suggest what ever you decide to do, you at least test drive a few at the store first. See if you like the layout of the software and get a feel for the speed of the unit.

Happy shopping and be sure to let us know what unit you decide to go with.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:54 pm 
Guppy

I did go and read the specs on the unit you mentioned but it seems more than I need and cost around 800.00 and up with transducer. It could be I may need to spend that amount but I really dont want too

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:07 pm 

When I bought the Garmin 441S it was about $300 on sale at West Marine....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:10 pm 

Hedobob wrote:
I did go and read the specs on the unit you mentioned but it seems more than I need and cost around 800.00 and up with transducer. It could be I may need to spend that amount but I really dont want too

Bob

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-1051 ... sducer/dp/
http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html ... t=a#213018
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowrance- ... --12971016

Here are a few links for you if you are interested. These units are priced between $500 and $550.

With Lowrance you have to watch the mapping and transducers included in the package price. This same unit can go over $1000 with all the bells and whistles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:28 pm 

alex8q4 wrote:
I had a Lowrance elite 5 on my last boat and I loved it. The only beef I had with it was the regeneration speed when zooming or panning around a chart. That said, that was an older style unit, and Lowrance now has an HDS 5 Generation 2 unit that I test drove on a friends boat. It is very fast and priced between $500 and $600 provided you stick with the regular sonar. This unit is also capable, at a price, to preform some pretty amazing sonar imaging.

My Elite 5 had a great quick release mount that allowed me to remove it in under 20 seconds, and stash it in my hiding spot when we were not on the boat

I will be purchasing a lowrance hds 7 Touch in the spring for the new boat. I really like their software layouts and mapping options.

I suggest what ever you decide to do, you at least test drive a few at the store first. See if you like the layout of the software and get a feel for the speed of the unit.

Happy shopping and be sure to let us know what unit you decide to go with.

I put an Elite 5 DSC on my Sundowner a couple years ago. Picked it up for about $300. I don't fish, just use it for depth readings and GPS. Still pretty happy with this purchase!

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1