www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:00 pm 
Goldfish

I currently own a 1993 Sundowner 215 and there is a 2000 Sundowner 235 for sale locally. I have not gone to see it yet do to our lovely Massachusetts winter and a shit ton of snow.

Can anybody chime in on size difference? Specifically the cuddy, I'm looking for a slightly larger cuddy to accommodate myself (6'0") and my girlfriend (5'10"). We cram into the 215 and make it work but a little more sleeping area would be nice.

Also, if anyone has happened to own a FW Sundowner from each of these areas, what are some of the highs and lows of each. I'd hate to "upgrade" and have it become a downgrade.

P.S. I do love my '93 and put a lot of work into her but I'd hate to lose out on a decent opportunity.

Thank you in advance,

South Hadley, MA
Connecticut River Rat for life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm a huge cuddy cabin fanboy. Newer the boat, smaller the cuddy.

Four Winns does not make a good cuddy for the price. I'm a huge cuddy cabin fan and by far the best you can buy are Chaparral. I went with a 215 SSI due to LOA size constraints, I really wanted to keep in the FW family, but comparing a Sundowner to a Chaparral isn't even fair. I'm 6'2 and have room to sit up and stretch out in my little 215 ssi which is almost identical to the 2003+ Sundowner 205, which I can't even lay down in or sit without hitting my head. The SD 225 is still smaller. I've spent a many nights in my 215 SSI. I also added marine A/C and a 24in flat screen TV. It's a weekenders wet dream with the camper canvas on.

If you want cabin space, by far the best you can buy is a Chaparral 235 SSI. You can pick them up all day long for 15k. Cabin space is huge I can almost stand up, and cockpit layout is perfect. The best part? They came optioned with the Volvo Penta 7.4 big block!!!! BEAST MODE!!

Now, if your goal a day boat with sexy lines, cosmetics, a sun pad for the ladies to sunbathe on and a cuddy for just "sexy time" or a random night out once and a great while? Monterey 214 FSC (now called the 224 FSC) no questions asked. If I was given the choice to buy any cuddy cabin boat ever made under 24ft? Monterey 214/224 FSC.

I say under 24ft, because once you hit the 24ft mark you can buy a Vista 248.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:18 am 

ric wrote:
I'm a huge cuddy cabin fanboy. Newer the boat, smaller the cuddy.

Four Winns does not make a good cuddy for the price. I'm a huge cuddy cabin fan and by far the best you can buy are Chaparral. I went with a 215 SSI due to LOA size constraints, I really wanted to keep in the FW family, but comparing a Sundowner to a Chaparral isn't even fair. I'm 6'2 and have room to sit up and stretch out in my little 215 ssi which is almost identical to the 2003+ Sundowner 205, which I can't even lay down in or sit without hitting my head. The SD 225 is still smaller. I've spent a many nights in my 215 SSI. I also added marine A/C and a 24in flat screen TV. It's a weekenders wet dream with the camper canvas on.

If you want cabin space, by far the best you can buy is a Chaparral 235 SSI. You can pick them up all day long for 15k. Cabin space is huge I can almost stand up, and cockpit layout is perfect. The best part? They came optioned with the Volvo Penta 7.4 big block!!!! BEAST MODE!!

Now, if your goal a day boat with sexy lines, cosmetics, a sun pad for the ladies to sunbathe on and a cuddy for just "sexy time" or a random night out once and a great while? Monterey 214 FSC (now called the 224 FSC) no questions asked. If I was given the choice to buy any cuddy cabin boat ever made under 24ft? Monterey 214/224 FSC.

I say under 24ft, because once you hit the 24ft mark you can buy a Vista 248.

You used "fanboy" and "sexy time" in the same post. Awesome! lol :lol:

I'm a huge fanboy of sexy time. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:37 am 

JeffLW wrote:

You used "fanboy" and "sexy time" in the same post. Awesome! lol :lol:

I'm a huge fanboy of sexy time. :D

He also used Beast mode, which means he owes Marshawn Lynch 25 cents.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:29 pm 
Goldfish

Ric, thanks for the comments on the various cuddy boats. I too love the versatility of cuddy cabins. If I had the finances I'd pick up an early-to-mid 2000's model Sundowner 285 (that's my wet dream).

I'm not even particularly looking for a new-to-me boat but I look around for deals.

Is there anyone that can comment on the cuddy dimensions of a 2000 SD 235? and possibly those dimensions compared to a '93 SD 215?

Thanks, Corey

South Hadley, MA
Connecticut River Rat for life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:10 am 

LivinnSadley wrote:
I currently own a 1993 Sundowner 215 and there is a 2000 Sundowner 235 for sale locally. I have not gone to see it yet do to our lovely Massachusetts winter and a shit ton of snow.

Can anybody chime in on size difference? Specifically the cuddy, I'm looking for a slightly larger cuddy to accommodate myself (6'0") and my girlfriend (5'10"). We cram into the 215 and make it work but a little more sleeping area would be nice.

Also, if anyone has happened to own a FW Sundowner from each of these areas, what are some of the highs and lows of each. I'd hate to "upgrade" and have it become a downgrade.

P.S. I do love my '93 and put a lot of work into her but I'd hate to lose out on a decent opportunity.

Thank you in advance,

It sound like you need somthing bigger than a cuddy. Your both tall people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:53 am 

Paul I. wrote:
It sound like you need somthing bigger than a cuddy. You're both tall people.

He would fit mine with room to spare, I'm 6'2 and sleep very comfortably and can sit up without hitting my head in every part.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:33 am 

ric wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

He would fit mine with room to spare, I'm 6'2 and sleep very comfortably and can sit up without hitting my head in every part.

Cuddy = A cuddy is a small cabin in a boat. A cuddy boat is a boat with a small cabin with maybe a small head. It may have a small berth also. Normally the cuddy is not tall enough to stand in. Typical lengths of cuddy boats range from 18' to 28' ft. The term "Cuddy cabin", is still somewhat used (cuddy itself means cabin), and is a common term among small boaters.

So one would think you could not stand up in one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:33 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
ric wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

Cuddy = A cuddy is a small cabin in a boat. A cuddy boat is a boat with a small cabin with maybe a small head. It may have a small berth also. Normally the cuddy is not tall enough to stand in. Typical lengths of cuddy boats range from 18' to 28' ft. The term "Cuddy cabin", is still somewhat used (cuddy itself means cabin), and is a common term among small boaters.

So one would think you could not stand up in one.

We slept in the cuddy of our 245 once; I am 6', my wife is a little less. It was comfortable, ( we had the door open for ventilation). That is, until our Spaniel who slept in the cockpit woke up when it got light at 04:00! Still, the wind got up to a F8 at around 04:30, the torrential rain came soon after and we packed up and drove home at 06:00. Not the fault of the Four Winns cuddy though !