www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

Anyone have a recommendation for low cost full boat covers that will actually fit my boat (high bow rails and large windshield)? I only want a cover to prevent sun damage and keep the boat clean between outings in the summer. Ideally I want to cover the entire boat and swim platform (down a foot or two from the rubrail). The boat lives in the barn in the winter, so snow cover is not at issue at all. I would store the boat in the barn year-round, but it's a real pain to get the boat in and out of the barn.
I did order a semi-custom cover on Amazon for about $200 that was spec'd to cover a 22-24' boat, but returned it immediately when I found that it would not cover the full width of the bow, or the full length of the boat due to my bow rails.
I'm not interested in spending the $$$ for a custom cover....

Thanks for any suggestions.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:17 pm 

I had a Taylormade cover for my 24' Doral Cuddy. The cover I ordered was for A 26' boat which worked out great. It covered my swim platform and outdrive. It did a good job to keeping the boat clean and dry.

http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/

I got mine from west marine.

Edit:

My link only goes to the catalogue for some reason, not the specific item I want to show you. The cover I had was the eclipse series.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:59 am 

alex8q4 wrote:
I had a Taylormade cover for my 24' Doral Cuddy. The cover I ordered was for A 26' boat which worked out great. It covered my swim platform and outdrive. It did a good job to keeping the boat clean and dry.

How high were the bow rails on the boat? I think this is the major issue with finding a large enough cover for me.

Thanks!

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 pm 

Thanks for the pictures. Those are helpful. Here's the profile of my boat, you can see how high the bow rails are in comparison to the windows. I'm thinking I may need to try a semi-custom "cruiser" style cover.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 pm 

I'll try to find a pic of the boat without the cover. It was pretty tall and had a decent bow rail.

Also, did you notice how tall my support posts stood? The front post was about 5' tall.

It's too bad you can't try things like this out before you buy them. The first cover I bought was for a 24' boat and I found it a bit small. I was lucky and I lent it to a friend who ended up loosing it and buying me a new one. That is when I ordered the cover for a 26' cuddy.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 am 
Guppy

I found Carver Covers. Ordered one specific to my Sundowner. Fits like a glove and is of good material. Might want to have a look at their website.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:28 pm 

Russ wrote:
I found Carver Covers. Ordered one specific to my Sundowner. Fits like a glove and is of good material. Might want to have a look at their website.

Russ, what year is your sundowner?

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:25 pm 

Westland makes a cover that covers my Sundowner. The bowrails you have are the same as mine. Fits well and covers well. Just have to prop the cockpit and bow to keep rain from filling the cover. Hasn't been a problem this spring because we have had almost no rain in 2 months.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 am 

[quote="john55c"]Westland makes a cover that covers my Sundowner. The bowrails you have are the same as mine. Fits well and covers well. Just have to prop the cockpit and bow to keep rain from filling the cover. Hasn't been a problem this spring because we have had almost no rain in 2 months.

John, did you order based on your boat make and model, or by style? I just checked their site and it only pulls Sundowners from 1987. That said, the '87 Sundowner 225 looks to have the same specs and hull as my '84. The only difference I can see from pictures is possibly the windshield profile.
Also, does your's cover your platform too? I want one that will in order to prevent some serious oxidation that hits me every summer.

Thanks for the response!

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:21 pm 

Vintage Beauty wrote:
john55c wrote:
Westland makes a cover that covers my Sundowner. The bowrails you have are the same as mine. Fits well and covers well. Just have to prop the cockpit and bow to keep rain from filling the cover. Hasn't been a problem this spring because we have had almost no rain in 2 months.

John, did you order based on your boat make and model, or by style? I just checked their site and it only pulls Sundowners from 1987. That said, the '87 Sundowner 225 looks to have the same specs and hull as my '84. The only difference I can see from pictures is possibly the windshield profile.
Also, does your's cover your platform too? I want one that will in order to prevent some serious oxidation that hits me every summer.

Thanks for the response!

It does not cover the platform, and I think the '87 225 will fit yours perfectly. Has some extra room and does pull down pretty far on the gunwale, almost to boot stripe. Good quality and it has reinforcements along rails, windshield, and stern.