www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:26 pm 
Minnow

I read a post on here from 2007 about a Sundower 205 that had the same problem as mine. On the starboard side of my boat the scupper assembly for the floor drain failed and filled the sealed sponson with water. The boat then developed a list over time and wood inside the sponson became water logged.

I drilled a pilot hole very low and as far aft as I could in the sponson, leaving enough room to install a brass garboard drain plug. Then I used a key hole bit and put in a 1" hole. So far I have drained out about 8 gallons of water. I am leaving the hole open for a few days to try dry the wood some before I install the garboard plug.

In the original post the guy said he sealed the factory scupper hole below the water line and also at the deck drain. I am not sure how to accomplish that. My first thought for big hole, ~1.5 inches, below the water line was to glue in a ping pong ball. But a ping pong ball is too big to fit in the hole. So I will look for some other semi-permanent method. The next owner may want to go though the ass pain of replacing the whole assembly.

I am at a lose for an idea on how to seal the deck drain side of the assembly. Anyone have ideas on how to seal up one or both sides of this assembly?

I would post a pictures but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that on the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:48 pm 
Shark

I thought I recall reading threads where people use a tapered hardwood plug, cut the length so when you tap it in it is about 1/8" below surface. Then you fiberglass and gelcoat over it.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-s5230.html

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:35 am 
Minnow

I want to keep the factory drain fitting in place.

I found this post from 2010 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6314 and it is exactly what I am dealing with. Might anyone have an pictures of where exactly I would need to install the floor access panel? How big a panel would I install?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:01 am 
Minnow

I finished this project. The new garboard drain is working well and really wasn't that hard to install. I bought all the parts to put the access panel in my deck so I could replace the scupper valve assembly. Luckily I tried one more time to remove the scupper. Once you get it free from the deck it will come up about an inch to two inches then it will hit the 90 degree angle where the hose attaches. With a little effort you can raise the inside side of the drain assembly and work the whole thing out. The assembly has a beveled back side to make it easier. I was able to pull about five inches of hose out and then simple replace the assembly. This saved me a lot of time and I did not have to cut a large hole in my deck. I did take apart the back of the seat and headrest along with the wall next to the motor to give me more room to work.

I took the boat out and my listing problem is corrected. The scupper is working as designed. I am considering adding another graboard drain on the port side of the boat so it has symmetry and will be done when that scupper fails.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 am 
Seahorse

Do you have any pics or locations to show me what and where you are speaking of? I always want to learn new things.

Thanks 8)