www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:55 am 
Tadpole

Hi,

We are brand new to boating. We have wanted one for years and finally picked up an 01 235 this spring.

After only 3 runs the engine started overheating which resulted in a head rebuild and a $4000 bill. So our boating experience has not been good so far.

That's fixed and behind us now but my question is about the stability of the boat.

My wife is nervous on the water so this is a big issue for us. I took her out a few days ago and the lake was glass. Everything was fine until another wake hit us from the side and the boat rocks side to side a lot. I'm not nervous at all on the water but it's not comfortable or enjoyable to be rocking so much and for my wife its scary. Is this common with these boats? Like I said, I'm very inexperienced but the rocking seems excessive to me. I've been a passenger on other boats and never felt anything like this.

We went out last weekend on our friends' 23' Crownline bowrider and it was choppy water and it handled beautifully. I couldn't take my boat out in that water.

Any ideas or opinions would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:35 am 
email admin your custom rank

This is something that you as a new boater will have to practice over and over; how to take boat wakes and handle rough water. When learning Id advise that you not take your wife out rather take out a friend who is experienced...you never want to take them broadside but turn into them and cross at a 45* angle. You also do not cross them on plane or at idle; both can be dangerous. Rather you want to get the bow of the boat up so the wave does not come over the bow.
When I approach wakes I throttle back and let the boat drop off plane but use enough throttle control to keep the bow up. Turn toward it but cross @ 45* angle.
Rough water/wake handling takes practice and timing/throttle control.
I've boated in Long Island Sound often so I got a lot of practice.
Ironically the worst wakes are not in the open waters but in small shallow areas with a lot of boat traffic.

PS the other thing is getting on a maintenance schedule with your boat so that you don't have problems out on the water. Certain things need regular replacement (impellers, fuel filters especially) to ensure reliability. Boats are not like modern cars that run for years with little maintenance. Stern drive boats which is what you have are by their nature high maintenance machines. Look at your owners manual and make sure all the jobs are done.

Inboards overheating is usually due to a worn impeller, clogged water cooled exhaust, hose failure (rare) or internal engine problems such as a leaky head gasket.
Don't forget the lower unit (out drive) needs yearly maintenance including removing it each season checking the gimble bearing u joints and drive shaft bellows. The driveshaft splines must be greased and on some models the gimble & ujoints can be greased as well. Drive oil should be changed and checked for water. Engine alignment should be checked yearly.
If these jobs are not done for a while....$$$$ .

My old boat has been on a maintenance schedule for all the time I've had it (14 years) so that every year it gets tuned up, the cooling system is checked, and at the end of the season the drive service is done. I do all of it myself, been a back yard mechanic since the early 70s.

If you want a lower maintenance boat then eventually get a newer boat with a modern outboard. They will need far less maintenance than sterndrives and are safer as well. While the initial cost is higher, the year to year maintenance is less especially winterizing.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:21 pm 

I don't know about the 235 but my 97 245 was as stable as about any boat that size I've been on. Any wave or wake directly broad side will make any boat rock pretty badly. As Lou stated, learning to handle a boat can take some practice. There is speed, steering and trim to use in combination.

Can you have your friend with the Crownline explain how he handles the water will driving his boat and then go out with you and Tutor you on how to handle rough water?

My Crownline is a little better than my Four Winns in rough water but it is two feet longer and about 2 thousand pounds heavier so it should handle it better.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:23 pm 

The bigger the boat, the more stable it is. You are on a lake so I have to laugh. Try being on a ocean.....................

Your on the water, so all boats will get hit one way or anther. Thats just the way it is!! As Lou mentioned, you will learn when to slow down and when not to by reading the waves.

My Crownline took in rough water was better than our Four Winns too. With that said, I no longer have my V256. You may want to upgrade in time and seek that better riding boat.