www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 pm 
Starfish

Last year was my first season with my 99' 245 sundowner with the 5.7gsi and so far so good,but I did seem to have a problem with it not wanting to take all the fuel when you jam the throttle. It never bogged out or stalled just didnt want to make any power and took its good ol time and preferred to like a slow throttle and gradually gain speed rather that flooring it. I took apart my floor and looked at the one way valve on the tank,,It was good and clean,Changed fuel/water seperator,Checked fuel pressure,It was good. So I put a new distributor cap on and some fuel cleaner and it did seem to help for awhile but by the end of the season it was back doing it again.

So this season im going to start with some fresh plugs and was thinking about getting some new injectors,They both seem to be spraying Maybe one better than the other but its hard to tell. I seen some places on ebay selling remanufactured matched sets for about $100. It says made for a wide range of 5.7 engine,and at the end of the day isnt the 5.7 volvo just a SBC? So if I do decide to use these would they be ok for the boat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

With the pressure gauge hooked up and engine running, snap open the throttle. If the pressure drops, your fuel pressure regulator is toast. You should see an noticeable increase.

Using a timing light to inspect the injector spray pattern will tell you if have a bad injector.

Also, with the engine off, look inside with the throttle wide open. If you can see any of the base gasket, replace it. They are well known for sucking them in causing a vacuum leak.

If your engine has the ignition module inside the distributor, remove it and clean it. Clean the distributor mounting plate with brake cleaner as well. Apply di-electric grease to the mounting points. Even small amounts of oxidation will make them run like a dog. Very common too.

And a lot of others.

Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:34 pm 
Starfish

If you haven't done so, do a compression check on the engine. I had some similar problems on my '99 SD245 w/5.7GSI last year and after a long troubleshooting of the FI and fuel system, it turned out I had two cylinders that were very low on compression. Turned out I had a burned valve on one side and a cracked head on the other. Finally got this all sorted out right at the end of the season.