www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interior panel removal
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:22 am 
Clownfish

I've been busy for the last couple of weeks getting my 1987 "Classic" Sundowner 215 ready for the boating season here in Michigan. Nothing major but there are many little items that need attention to make her ready for the Great Lakes - I'm improving the electrical system, removing artifacts from old fishfinders, etc., and installing a new Garmin Sidescan capable plotter / GPS. I also sanded the teak swim platform, treated it with teak oil and then installed a 4 foot dive ladder on the port side (replacing the little factory job.)

Assuming the summer goes as expected and I still like the boat in the fall, I'm thinking that this coming winter might be a good time to have the interior reupholstered. I've removed the engine cover and the rear panel so that itsn't a problem but haven't tried to deal with the side panels.

If anyone out there has ever removed their panels, maybe you can tell me how big a job it is and how they're held on? Is it just a few bolts or screws or is there more to it?

Thanks!
Tim

1973 Starcraft 21' Chieftain 120 HP Mercruiser I/O
PADI Master Diver
IANTD Technical EANx Diver
Commercial Pilot
Flight Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:22 am 
email admin your custom rank

I don’t know if you wound up taking off your side panel but I did recently to replace rotted wood in the backing material.these are large full length panels on my H-200. They used machine studs screwed into the wood and the panel was retained with a nut o the other side of the ‘glass panel below the side windshield.The only way I could get these horrible fasteners off was to put some wedges between the side panel the ‘glass and use a hacksaw blade in a handle to cut them off. A real pain. I was going to remove the other side to replace the old OMC remote control but I don’t have the patience todo it again just yet. Maybe next year. Hope yours come off easier! Don’t know what odd ball size nuts they used neither SAE nor metric fit these nuts.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:37 pm 

Hi Lou.

There are some really nice very thin angle gringer metal cutting discs out there to make those jobs easier; I bought a 18V battey angle grinder recently, it's wonderful ! ( stops me cutting through cables !)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:23 pm 

I’m definitely gonna pick up one of those for these kinds of jobs.Worth it because of the time saving and reduction infrustration

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II