www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 205 Sundowner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:34 am 
Shark

We have a 1996 205 Sundowner DX, Ford 351 engine, fuel injected, Volvo-Penta stern drive, an amazing craft. We live in the Northwest (Portland, OR) so we have plenty of opportunities to get out on bodies of water - rivers, lakes, and some open seas. We spend part of every summer in the San Juan Islands of Puget Sound, which is where I think the boat performs most admirably. The wide beam and high walls make this a most enjoyable vessel. We were caught in some pretty heavy water, 3 to 4 foot+ swells (that's about as much as I care to take on, really, and only if it's unavoidable -- such as an unexpected weather change on a long trip back) and I was pleased with the way the boat handled the task. While we were getting pounded, it stayed true and steady. There were a lot of rattled nerves on the boat, including mine, but the boat made it look easy. She drives with ease and has bailed us out of a few prickly situations with grace - for instance when I came up on the wake of a larger (2X) boat and tried to crawl over it, my nose went down too steep on the descent (it was a BIG wake) and we were covered by the second wave. I thought "Thank goodness I didn't have an open bow." It's happened only once.

We use the boat for water skiing as well, never a problem coming out of the hole. Launching/loading is cake on the Four Winns trailer.

While she's 10 years old she looks new. I'll post a picture on this site.

There have been a few problems over the years, and I'll post those, too, in the effort to share information about this boat.

Post subject: West Coast welcome
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Wow, someone from the west coast, good to see!!

I am located in the Vancouver, BC area and just bought my 1st boat last March in Camas, Wash just across the state line from you. I primarily use my boat on the Sunshine Coast and Burrard Inlet. I am very happy with my FW and think I made the right choice (was looking at Chapperal, Searay, Monteray, & FW). I made a few trips down to the Portland and Jantzen Beach area looking at boats. Good selection and pricing compared to around here. We vacation in Oregon alot; races at PIR, Cannon Beach, dunes in Florence, etc.

Enjoy the boat, lets see some pics.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:24 pm 
Shark

Guinny, great to hear from another left-coaster.
I have a question for you --
While I stay on Orcas Island this year, is it an easy ride up to Vancouver from the San Juans? That is, given decent weather - and the Strait of Georgia being relatively calm that day (fingers crossed it would stay that way all day, highly unlikely - is it a good ride up to Vancouver. From the looks of things I could head over to Saturna, then go pretty much due north about 15 nautical miles. You ever take yours through the Strait? I trust there's a customs dock in Vancouver? Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Mark,

I have never been south of Vancouver by boat, so I can't offer you any real advice. I can go to Vancouver Island from the mainland with no real problems, with good water that is. Give yourself lots of time to get there and back. If the winds wip up, you may have to hang around longer than you expected. Make sure you monitor the marine weather channel on your vhf. As far as Customs goes, you can check with Canada Border Services at the link below.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4341/rc4341-e.html

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:54 am 
Shark

Thanks, Rod. We just got back from a week cruising the islands in the Sundowner 205 -- based out of Orcas. Visited Bedwell, Port Browning, Saltspring Island, but never made it north to Vancouver.

One thing I did notice this trip was more FOUR WINNS boats on the waters of Puget Sound. Seeing them has been rare until this year. Even a Whale Watching tour boat was a 20+ foot Four Winns Horizon.

Mark