www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:15 pm 
Seahorse

Greetings, I'm a new guy on the board and will start out with a request for help in solving a little mystery.
I have a 1998 245 Sundowner that I purchased 2 years ago and it fits my needs nicely but I have not been able to figure out what goes in the space defined by the three white plastic blocks, the one on top has a twist lock function. This is on the starboard side just beside the captain’s chair; see the attached picture for reference.
I would appreciate any help in solving this mystery.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:57 am 
email admin your custom rank

My 1999 225 Sundowner had the same parts; I think they were to hold the optional alcohol stove when it was not in use; there was no way the table top would fit there!

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 am 

You'll notice that you can fully remove the right side of the companionway door. Fold it in half on the hinges and it stows in these blocks.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 am 
Guppy

It is for the cabin doors. I never much liked taking them out unless I was going for the weekend and then going to use the camper canvas.
Enjoy a great boat!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:46 am 

Well, in the 4 seasons I had the 225, I never figured that out! There again, I never took the door off except when I had to remove the frame for repainting after the 3rd season I had it (it was 5 years old by then). The salt water that splashed into the cockpit in rough water caused a lot of surface corrosion on the frame and lifted the black paint off in places; it was very thin and brittle, didn't seem to have any primer beneath it and the screws they used didn't help matters as they had chipped the paint around the ( un-radiused) screw holes. I radiused all the sharp edges, countersunk the screw holes so that the screw heads would be flush with the frame surface and used etch primer, 2 component epoxy primer and a number of coats of spray applied automotive satin black. With the polished countersunk stainless screws, instead of the dome headed ones, it looked smart. The (white) frame on the 2004 245 I now have is powder coated by the look of it, which is still perfect after 3 seasons.

Another mystery; why have I got what looks like a 1 cent piece partially sandwiched between one engine mount and the aluminium extrusion mounted to the stringer?. A factory "good luck" charm maybe?

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:03 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks for all the replies. I had tried placing the removed and folded starboard side companionway door in this area and the top swivel lock piece was a good 2" or so below the top edge of the door. It could be that the shelf where the top latch piece is attached has sagged somewhat over the years. I will play around with it some more while down at the lake this weekend.

Again thanks to all of you that took the time to reply.