www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:58 am 
Minnow

Hi All,

Just a quick question about how to ID OMC I/O's...I have an '89 Sundowner 205 and I'm pretty sure that the engine is the 5.7, however, I have to say, the block looks a little small for a GM 350 - maybe it's just because the engine compartment is so tight. The distributor is in the back so I'm almost certain that it could not be the 302 Ford - because as far as I remember most earlier Ford engines have the distributor in the front, and the carb looks like a Quadrajet. I've emailed Four Winns with the hull ID requesting a build sheet for the boat, however, they told me that [their] records do not extend that far back. Any ideas? Thanx, guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm 
Guppy

My motor has a little metal ID tag on one of the brackets on the top of the motor. Different motor, I know, but there should be some sort of serial number or something that you could possibly cross reference. If you find some numbers, post them here and we'll try to help you look them up.

Another thought...you might be able to figure it out from the registration information. They usually list HP and maybe even engine serial.

Andy

'88 Sundowner 205
4.3L OMC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

All GM "small block" V8s look the same (with the exception of the new LS series and the LT-1s). Whether it's an old 265 cid, a more current 305 or 350, or a 383 (6.2 liter) or the 400.

Yours will either be a 305 (5.0 liter) or a 350 (5.7 liter) ... if it's a V8. If it is a V8, it's likely a 5.0.

Are you sure that it's not a 4.3 liter V6 (also GM, and very common on this boat)?

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:09 pm 
Minnow

M3eater wrote:
All GM "small block" V8s look the same (with the exception of the new LS series and the LT-1s). Whether it's an old 265 cid, a more current 305 or 350, or a 383 (6.2 liter) or the 400.

Yours will either be a 305 (5.0 liter) or a 350 (5.7 liter) ... if it's a V8. If it is a V8, it's likely a 5.0.

Are you sure that it's not a 4.3 liter V6 (also GM, and very common on this boat)?

It is definitely a V8. I ordered an OMC factory service manual and I'm awaiting its arrival. As far as I remember the 305 and 350 are identical in size, it is the bore diameter that affords the larger displacement of the 5.7 liter. I will try and find the engine ID tag this evening.