www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sink plug chain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I don't have a chain attached to my plug for the sink in the cockpit. I've seen a few Sundowners that have a short piece of chain attaching it to the faucet. Where would I get something like this, or rig something up? I mentioned it to my wife the other day, and forgot about it until someone on CSR lost their plug overboard.

Post subject: Re: Sink plug chain
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:00 am 

I've seen these plugs/ chains in Caravan/ Campervan accessory stores; much cheaper than the "marine" ones.

My boat, also a 2004 Sundowner but a 245, came with a plug and chain that was unattached to the boat. The threaded stud on the end of the chain was too short to go all the way through the Corian and the GRP below it and allow the nut/ washer to be screwed on. There was no way of attaching that end to the faucet, except by removing the stud and just looping the chain over the faucet and joining it together. Maybe FW ordered too many of the wrong chains and decided to use them anyhow and couldn't figure out how to/ couldn't be bothered to attach them!

I knew I'd lose it if I didn't attach it. Rather than just looping the chain over the faucet, I attached mine onto the work surface, close to the faucet. I drilled a hole the same diameter as the thread through both the Corian and GRP. Then I crawled underneath and used a hole saw to remove a plug of GRP, using the hole already drilled for alignment. The thread at the end of the chain then protruded enough through the Corian to allow the nut and washer to be attached. As long as it's big enough to get a socket on the nut, the hole in the GRP can be any size you like, depending on which size hole saw you have access to. I did mine in 2005, so ithe diameters involved are a bit hazy, but from memory the plot drill size in the hole saw I used was the same size as the hole needed for the threaded portion to pass through.

I vaguely remember also having to slightly countersink the underside of Corian, very easy using a flat woodboring bit.

Graham

Post subject: Re: Sink plug chain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:27 pm 

I found some small chain at Walmart that will work just fine. I'm going to attach it to the clip on the plug, and loop it around the base of the faucet. I'll put a pic up here when its done on Friday.