www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aligning outdrive
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:01 pm 
Minnow

I am reinstallingredients my outdrive and it is hanging up before it reaches the splines. I think the steering was turned while it was out awaiting gaskets. I am now waiting for alignment tool. Looking for any thoughtful experience.
1988 5.0

Post subject: Re: Aligning outdrive
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 am 
email admin your custom rank

Is this an OMC Cobra or Mercruiser Alpha drive system?
If its the Cobra, I have had one approx 20 years and the way to get the drive back on is:
1) get the height of the pivot housing (part with the 6 studs) and drive to be the same, I use an outdrive jack that makes this job MUCH easier especially if you are over 50 or so lol. Make sure the pivot is not tilted to one side or another, straight and level.
2) use the alignment tool to line up the gimble bearing, the bearing can "gimble" and if it's not lined up with the path the driveshaft must take it will fight you.
3) when you grease the driveshaft splines, do not get grease in the groove for those 2 orings, that may make them swell and cause problems, lube them with motor oil only.
4) when you guide the driveshaft in, try to keep the u joints as straight as possible
5) the Cobra is supposed to be installed with the drive and remote shifter in neutral. Sometimes the driveshaft splines won't align with the coupler splines, and it will fight you the last inch. I use a very long thin screwdriver in the u joint assembly to turn the driveshaft just the 1/8" or so it takes to get it to align.

If you have an Alpha, well I can't help never owned one. But I've done this on the Cobra, for like 15 seasons worth....
must have's
outdrive jack
alignment tool
long thin screwdriver

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Post subject: Re: Aligning outdrive
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:50 pm 
Minnow

Thankyou, I have done an off that. I am noww aligning motor . My 1 hitch is the starboard mount is seized. My question is can I raise the front of the motor high enough to replace the motor mount without loosening the bell housing bolts to the outdrive?

LouC wrote:
Is this an OMC Cobra or Mercruiser Alpha drive system?
If its the Cobra, I have had one approx 20 years and the way to get the drive back on is:
1) get the height of the pivot housing (part with the 6 studs) and drive to be the same, I use an outdrive jack that makes this job MUCH easier especially if you are over 50 or so lol. Make sure the pivot is not tilted to one side or another, straight and level.
2) use the alignment tool to line up the gimble bearing, the bearing can "gimble" and if it's not lined up with the path the driveshaft must take it will fight you.
3) when you grease the driveshaft splines, do not get grease in the groove for those 2 orings, that may make them swell and cause problems, lube them with motor oil only.
4) when you guide the driveshaft in, try to keep the u joints as straight as possible
5) the Cobra is supposed to be installed with the drive and remote shifter in neutral. Sometimes the driveshaft splines won't align with the coupler splines, and it will fight you the last inch. I use a very long thin screwdriver in the u joint assembly to turn the driveshaft just the 1/8" or so it takes to get it to align.

If you have an Alpha, well I can't help never owned one. But I've done this on the Cobra, for like 15 seasons worth....
must have's
outdrive jack
alignment tool
long thin screwdriver