www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:43 am 
Tadpole

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a 225 5.0 1998 saltwater boat without seeing the boat.
Can someone please help me and advise me on the things i have to look at?
These are the specs:

Volvo Penta outdrive with fresh fluids and a new shift cable. Tilt steering wheel, AM/FM CD player, VHF Radio, spare propeller, windshield wiper, bow lifting ring, anchor and safety equipment, porta potty, transom shower, electric trim tabs. Dual batteries with switch, and Neutra Salt flush system. New raw water impeller, and thermostat.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jantie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:03 am 
email admin your custom rank

Important question, is the boat closed cooled with a heat exchanger? If so, you would have less problems due to salt, but still have to be careful .Salt water use, the main things are the condition of the cooling/exhaust system and drive seals. In salt water you have to change the manifolds/risers about every 5 years or else they can rust thru and let salt water into the engine. Thermostats (if raw water cooled) have to be changed often. If the drive seals were not maintained, that can let salt water i nto the drive which could cause corrision of the bearing surfaces. I'd want to pull the bottom drain and check the gear oil (may not show anything if it's not been in the water since it was last chaged). My boat was used in salt and I"ve done the manifolds, thermo housing, trim lines, and various seals in the drive. The bellow leaked and I had to do the bellows, and gimble bearing a few years ago. Check the wiring for corrosion and also fittings on the boat as well. Look at the starter, if there was a leak from the manifold drain above, it could be very rusted. I had to change mine a couple of years ago.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II