www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 pm 
Dolphin

Hello from Long Island, NY. I'm new to the forum. A few weeks ago I bought a 2003 Sundowner S205 (a 50th birthday gift from my wife). The last boat I owned, over 30 years ago, was a 15 foot Crestliner with a 40HP Johnson outboard. I hope the winter passes quickly -- I'm eager to get out on the water!

I could use some advice. The boat currently has a low-end Lowrance greyscale fish finder and no VHF radio. I was thinking of buying a Standard Horizon CPV350 (GPS chartplotter/VHF radio combo to replace the Lowrance -- plus I would add the FF520 fishfinder attachment); however, I'm afraid it may be too large for the dashboard. Since the boat has been winterized and shrink wrapped, I can't measure it.

The measurements are 6.7" H x 10.9" W x 5.4" D, and I would be placing it on the lefthand side on top of the dashboard. Can anyone shed some light on whether this piece of equipment would be an appropriate size? I think it may be too large. If so, I'll simply buy a separate GPS/Chartplotter and VHF radio -- not a big deal.

I would appreciate any advice you may have for me.

Thanks,
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 pm 
Dolphin

Anyone? I'd appreciate your advice as Anchor Express has a sale which ends on 10/31. Thanks.

My Boat: http://www.edcr.us/boat/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 am 
268 Vista

I don't own an SD, but fro what I remember, a 10.9" wide unit will be too large for that space.
There is no way you can get access to your own boat to measure it ?

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

Maybe you could look up boats for sale on the internet, and see if there are any late 205 Sundowners with reasonable pictures of the dash area (earlier ones have a different instrument pod). It could give you an idea of how much space there is there. I think space must be quite limited there though, because on the 205 and 225 Sundowners the compass is in the dash; the 245 Sundowner has it mounted ahead of the dash on a flat GRP surface, which the 205 and 225 do not have. I have a Navman ( Northstar) 5600 mounted on my 245 in the position you mention.

If you really like the unit an are getting a deal not to be missed, if it doesn't fit, you could I suppose use something like a "RAM" mount to either fix it where your current unit is fitted but extend it's position so it fits, or use a "RAM" mount on the windscreen support rod.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:12 am 
Dolphin

Thank you both, Cap'n Morgan and Graham R. No, I don't have access to the boat's interior as it has already been shrink wrapped. I have a feeling that the combo unit is going to be too big, and I appreciate your input. I'll go with separate, smaller units.

Thanks again,
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 pm 
Shark

i explored this on my boat, and the smallest Navman was too tight a squeeze. I went as far as making a full scale cardboard mock-up ( must have been bored one night) to try and find somewhere reasonable to mount it. Above the cabin door on the left side was suitable, but i wasnt going to do that.

i think its a wait till you unwrap it ans see what who can come up with...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 am 
Dolphin

Aussie_Sundowner, here's a photo of my dash with a Lowrance X47EX installed on the left-hand side (I think you may have seen this photo on another post). Its dimensions are 13.8cm H x 17.6cm W x 8.6cm D. It's not too bad a fit.

I don't know the dimensions of the small Navman, but maybe it would be a decent fit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:30 pm 
Shark

looks like a good fit.
from memory, i was looking at a small navman chartplotter with external GPS, and smartcraft, mainly for a bit of mapping and the extra smartcraft related information, neither of which was really necessary, but more of a novelty or luxuary- not that theres anything wrong with that !!!

it was something along the lines of this, and a tiny bit larger than the fish finder, due to the hi res 5" screen maybe
http://www.northstarnav.com/en/Products ... orer-550i/