www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Optional VHF Radio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:04 pm 
Dolphin

Hi, everyone. I was hoping someone could shed some light on a small problem.

The original brochure for the 2003 Sundowner S205 shows an option for a VHF radio. It is flush mounted. The brochure has a photo of the radio but I cannot figure out where it was mounted. I would like to install a VHF radio and would prefer to flush mount it. If anyone knows where the factory flush mounted the VHF radio, I'd appreciate it if you would enlighten me. Here is a link to the original brochure -- the photo is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.edcr.us/boat/standardsandoptions.pdf

Thank you,
Kevin

My Boat: http://www.edcr.us/boat/

Post subject: Re: Optional VHF Radio
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm in the same position with my Horizon 190. Bought an Icom VHF but at a loss as to where to fit it..! Can't flush mount it in the dash as the steering gets in the way. Any thoughts??

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:36 pm 
Dolphin

Hi, Aussie_Horizon_190. If I can't find a place to flush mount the radio, I'm going to mount it to the top of the dash on the right-hand side.

At present there is a fish finder on the left and a Sirius satellite radio on the right. I can certainly do without the Sirius radio and put the VHF in its place, but I'd like to avoid cluttering my view through the windshield if at all possible.

Do you have room on top of your dash? Here's a photo of what's on mine:

As you can see, it won't take much to impede the view while seated.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:00 pm 

Hi Kevin,

My windshield seems to slope back more than yours (is closer to the top of the instrument cluster) and I have generally less room... on the right of mine I have a fishfinder/GPS mounted, but no room for the radio! :cry: (Maybe I need a bigger boat..!!) I intend to look at this further today!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:11 pm 
Dolphin

I must say, that's a terrific solution! Bigger boat...hmmm.

Is it possible for you to mount the radio under the dash or somewhere forward of the throttle?

It would be nice if these boats were constructed like center console boats where they leave an enormous amount of space to flush mount electronics.

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:27 am 

The dash assembly on my 2004 245 is basically the same as in the photo. Its a vacuum formed carrier with a coverstock, bolted to an underlying GRP structure.

I have mounted my VHF radio on the lower right hand side, below the stereo controls. I can angle it upwards so the display and controls are clearly visible. The VHF radio bracket is bolted through the lower, horizontal flat area of the dash assembly. The structure of the dash there is pretty flimsy. Too flimsy I thought to support the weight of the VHF set without flexing (and it would eventually have broken ). So, I have used a thick backing plate and a couple of braces to the underlying GRP structure to stop it flexing. Those braces are through bolted to the backing plate, also to the underlying GRP ( using countersunk machine screws, hidden behind the "wood" switch panel).

The clip for the handset is mounted in the switch cutout labelled "docking lights" ( I don't have any, but the boat came with a switch for them already fitted). I had a switch cutout blanking panel from my previous boat I could fit the bracket to and clip it into place, but to make it secure it also has a countersunk machine screw attached to the plate underneath the bracket. That captive screw passes through the switch cutout in the dash and through another loose plate which is bigger than the cutout, with a lock nut and washer holding them all together.

Graham

Last edited by Graham R on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:33 am 

On my Horizon 190, it is all fiberglass and does not have a lower return edge on it at all like your vacuum molded one... so I ended up installing it sideways on the carpet covered speaker panel forward of and below the throttle. I sorta wimped out from drilling into my fiberglass! If I don't like where it is or come up with a better idea in the future I can always unscrew it and it leaves no ugly holes.

Now I just have to install the antenna... I guess I am gonna have to drill my beautiful fiberglass after all...! :(

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 pm 
Shark

there's no good option for a VHF IMO.
maybe one that has the main unit in the cabin, and a small head unit on the dash somewhere.

or, for the more crafty, you could try Al's project here for a professional job.

oh, and if anyone has the skills needed, put me in for one too please.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:36 pm 

Thanks for the info Sundowner... Al seems to have waaaay too much time on his hands!! :lol:

But a nice result for the effort. I may look into doing something similar but not quite as complex in the future - maybe over the winter break - but for now I have it mounted so I can go boating!!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport