www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:26 pm 
Goldfish

Good Evening :)

We have a 1999 Sundowner 205 with a 5.0 Volvo Penta GL,

We are looking for some advice on fitting some trim tabs, we have come to this conclusion after 2 years boating in which we have found the 205 to be quite stern heavy and at low speeds, the rear of the hull digs in a great amount sending the nose very high. Unfortunately a throttle increase means it goes above the speed limit and the area we boat, they do not take kindly to speeders!!

We have come across the Bennett M120 Sport system, which seems to fit the bill quite nicely in terms of size and installation ease. Does anybody have any views on this system or where to mount it on the boat in terms of lateral width wise? We would also be fitting the EIC5000 electronic indicator system with it.

We would be fitting zinc anodes to them to stop corrosion as we boat in salt water.

Thanks

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:43 pm 
Shark

I have the M120 sport tabs installed as a factory option on my 255 Sundowner. I love them, although they can be counter-intuitive on how to operate them. I flipped by switches so that when I press the switches on the top the bow rises and when I press on the bottom of the switches the bow goes down. With a GPS reading speed to a tenth of a mile per hour you can tweek the tabs and the trim to get the most efficient configuration for fuel economy. My boat runs great with tabs and will never have a boat without them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

Rob,

I have a 2004 245 Sundowner with factory fitted trim tabs ( plus I fitted the indicator later). They are Bennet, I don't know the type. My boat is still on it's trailer at home and will still be for a few weeks yet, not many miles away from your location in Antrobus. You're quite welcome to come and have a look at the installation if you think it would be useful in giving you some pointers/ taking measurements ( the shape at the transom is probably the same as on your boat; it's certainly the same as on my previous '99 Sundowner).

I find them very useful.

Graham

Last edited by Graham R on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:47 pm 
Goldfish

Yeh, we are looking at the indicator level with the switch built in, combined with the auto retraction system.

Thank you very much for your offer, I think I will take you up on that sometime, if you could PM me your contact details that would be great!

Thank you both for your input!

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:09 am 
Guppy

Hi There
On a FW 205 (or any other I presume) where do the trim tabs fit? I am considering fitting some to mine but because of the shape of the stern with the twin 'hull extentions' i don't know if they would be too close to the outdrive to fit them inside or outside because of the extended swim platform support posts. I have not seen a FW with any fitted.

Clem B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The trim tabs are Bennett ones, but I'm sure they are modified ( I don't know whether that is by FW, or by Bennett for FW).

The hydraulic rams fit on the very outside of the actual transom . The tabs have their rearmost vertical side cut off outboard of the ram so the horizontal section of the tab can be brought up to line up with the main main hull running surface. The hinge is also modified; the inboard half fits onto the vertical surface of the transom. The outboard half is roughly double the height of the other half but is bent rearwards and screwed onto the lower section of the hull extensions.

Graham