www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: power trim
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

The "Clymer" manual has a section on it, including a drawing of the unit and instructions on how to adjust it. I can't access my copy until next Wednesday at the earliest. If you haven't got a copy of the diagram by then, I'll scan mine and send it to you by e-mail.

I vaguely remember there are two of the plugs with 3 wires, with the same wire colours; one from the trim switch, the other to the trim pump/ relays. With one single wire from the trailer/ override switch.It might be possible to bypass the unit by connecting those same coloured wires together!

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:14 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for all your replies:

As I said..... I've got a good switch and a good trim motor and relays - the problems I have all occurred at the same time!

Problem 1 - Using the rocker switch on the drive selector lever it does not raise or lower the outdrive.

Problem 2 - The trim indicator always reads full up - doesn't change at all no matter the out-drive position.

I'll try to get a hold of a CLYMER manual - I'll let you know if I get one otherwise I would like to take Graham up on his very kind offer.

JC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:17 pm 
Guppy

Graham R,
I see you are from Chester... great place - I was on travel worked for a while in Neston but I did frequent some great pubs in Chester... Stayed and the Mollington Banastre Hotel and drank at the Snooty Fox - maybe they are still there?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

Small world; my brother lived in Neston ! As far as I know, the hotel and pub are still there.

Sounds to me that the trim sender has failed; when mine went, the trim gauge was pegged at the top of the scale (but because it didn't have a trim limiter, the trim still worked).

Graham

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:03 pm 
Guppy

Well, I recon I am now the master of Volvo Penta trim senders and trim limit boxes. Mine now works! No parts required! :D
Here's how I see it!
If your trim up/down on the throttle doesn't do anything but the trailer up works fine,
go to the left side of the top of the engine and find a rubber connector with three wires (marked as trim). By trial and error find the one with 12v and link that with a paperciip to each of the open terminals. This will cause the trim motor to raise and lower the outdrive. If that all works then there is nothing wrong with your relays or motor assembly.
You probably have "full up" showing on your trim gauge.
Connect the plug and socket you just checked back together. Look to the back of the engine and you should see a block about 4" x 3" or so with a bunch of wires and led lights on it - this is the trim limit box. Get someone to operate the tilt/trim on the throttle lever. You should see a trim up led light or trim down led light up when the switch is pressed. At that point you have proved that the basis of the operation of the trim limit box is OK.
Near the box you should see another plug and socket marked "trim sender". Run the trailer trim up until the outdrive is full up/out. Measure across the the two black wires and you should see 11 ohms or so.

Note: If the trim sender side is faulty the guage will definitely show full up and the trim motor will not operate from the throttle up/down switch.

If you don't get any reading across the two black wires then keep the meter connected and use the paperclip method to run the the trim full down and then back to full up. This is important as you are looking for any sign of a reading on the meter. If you see anything such as the meter jump do it again then plug the thing back together again and it may all work. If you never see any reading replace the sender.
Seems that overtime and with sitting some grunge can get into the sender and running it up and down can coax it to work again.
Otherwise it maybe a broken wire between the sender on the outdrive or truly a faulty sender.

FYI - I was prepared for everything and now I have a brand new, unused trim limit box for sale!
Open to offers!
JC