www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:37 pm 
Minnow

I have a 2002 205 Sundowner. Of the four boats I have owned this is the best by far. Very solid and handles rough water very well. Problem I am having is water accumulation in the two under seat storage compartments in the cuddy cabin. From what I can tell these are completely sealed, so where the water is coming from is a complete mystery and very frustrating. Anyone having or had the same issue.

I would very much appreciate your feedback and any pics you may have of where you found the issue(s) to be.

Thanks
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:14 am 
email admin your custom rank

I've heard of water leaks on some boats being from the anchor locker, which was not sealed off properly. Other possible sources are the cleats/ other deck hardware, portholes and the join between the upper and lower hull, behind the rub rail. All could allow water to seep behind the covering and ito the storage compartments. It's a bit of a coincidence you get it on both sides though; it tends to suggest it's the anchor locker. The other possibility that could allow water into both sides of the boat is the hatch, it's a long way round from there to the lockers though ( when mine leaked, I got some mould on the sewn joint on the headliner)

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:01 am 
Minnow

Thanks Graham for the helpful feedback. I am puzzled that I cannot find any water stains on the carpeting, cushions or headliner. I have checked the bow railing stanchions and cleats and they seem to be secure. If I reach in the anchor locker I can feel what seems to be a gap between the deck and the top of the back of the locker. I would say maybe an inch at the top. The locker is probably say 20 inches deep, the drain is clear, and it does not seem feasible that water would splash up and through the gap but maybe if the boat is heaving significantly in large swells it may be where the problem is. Last time out I was in some very heavy swells with water coming over the bow as well as the windshield so I suppose if the anchor locker had filled partially it may have been enough to surge over the top of the back plate. Maybe I will try to spray foam this gap if I can manage to twist my appendages well enough to get at it.

Thanks for your help.
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:52 am 
email admin your custom rank

The lack of water stains tends to indicate the water is getting in there directly. It can't do any harm to seal the gap at the top, but from what I can remember of the post on this forum, the person who discovered a leak from their anchor locker into the boat found that it was the caulk at the bottom/ sides of the anchor locker back wall that was not complete. I can't remember when it was posted , or who posted it I'm afraid, a sign of my advancing years I suppose!

The drains on FW anchor lockers are not always at the lowest point, so on some boats there is always water in there which can creep around defective sealing.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:43 am 
Minnow

Thanks Graham. I have been speaking with FourWinns directly this morning and they pretty much advised me to check the same areas you mentioned for fine cracks in the gel coat or in fact incomplete caulking. I will also check the anchor locker drain again to ensure it is clear. I have never noticed water laying in the bottom of the compartment. Looks like I need to do some more sleuthing.

Thanks again
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:47 am 
Guppy

I do my boating in the UK and last year I bought a 2005 205/215 and kept it on a tidal/drying mooring last season. On some occasions the cabin carpet and cushions were soaking wet and again I could'nt find where the water was coming from, the cushions were wet from the botom up, and I spend hours over winter investigating, including filling the anchor locker with water and directing a hose pipe at the hatches.
I eventually decided that IF rain ran down the cover and went in the gap around the engine cover it would drain into the bilge, but on the port side (where the water tank and pump are located) it would drain onto the 'shelf'and could accumulate there. IF the bow at anytime was lower than the stern, ie. when the tide went out, that water could then run forward along the 'shelf' and into the cabin. The same would happen if the water tank or connections leaked. I fitted 'drain pipes' so that any rain water was directed to the bilges and I also siliconed a 'dam' so that water could not run forward anyway.
So far this season (8 weeks) my cabin has remained dry. I'm not saying I have completely solved the problem, but so far it's looking good.
Clem B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:55 am 
Minnow

Yesterday, I thoroughly checked the anchor locker for cracks etc and could find nothing. I poured in water and the drain works very well leaving only 4 or 5 tablespoons in the very bottom just below the drain. I removed the forward interior panel in the cuddy to expose the back of the anchor locker, and was able to add foam insulation to the gap (at least an inch) that exists between the partition and the hull (along the top and partially down the sides). I have not yet removed the cuddy porthole windows to ensure they are sealed. I think there may be a chance water could get in around the window seals but under the carpet so no water stain would be apparent. The carpeting along the sides of the cuddy has never felt wet. I also noticed that the forward end (inside) of the storage compartments are not completely sealed to both the hull and the cuddy floor. I am not convinced what I have done so far will solve the issue but one step at at time.

Ken