www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Apologies, I also posted this on Boating ABC, I think it will be of interest/ use here as well though.

A while ago, I posted that the bimini/ camper frame on my 2004 FW 245 rattled a lot whilst underway. I've started to strip it down and to try to sort out the problem this winter. Hopefully what I've found may help others with the same problem and prevent their frames getting as bad as mine has (probably the FW Horizons and Vistas of the same vintage use the same type of frame).

- All the rivets holding the couplings to the tubing are a tight fit in the tubing, but a loose fit in the couplings themselves.

- The tubing is quite a loose fit in the couplings, allowing a lot of "rocking".

- The countersunk holes for the rivets in the couplings has resulted in a very low wall thickness.

- As the rivets are loose in the couplings and the wallstock is thin, wear has occured and the holes in the couplings are now markedly oval. I also suspect the wall thickness is lower than it was, due to wear.

I am removing all the rivets ( a cobalt drill bit works very well!). On re-assembly I'm taking up the clearance between the tubing and end piece bores using a 2 component toughened structural adhesive and allowing it to cure before re- riveting the joints ( 4.8mm/ 3/16" rivets). I am also putting a small dab of the same adhesive under the rivet head to ensure the rivet cannot move relative to the end pieces. I invested in a "lazy tong" riveter after struggling the set the first stainless rivet with my 8" hand rivet gun!

Hopefully FW didn't rely on the variation in dimensions coming from the loose joints to allow the frame to fit the boat!

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I finally refitted the frame to the boat; a vast improvement in rigidity, with hardly any movement at now ( the only movement comes from the fit of the "feet" in the attachments on the boat)

Regards,

Graham