www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Sundowner Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:14 am 
Guppy

Just wanted to introduce myself. I recently purchased a 1989 Sundowner 255, and I'm also new to boating. This site will probably be invaluable to me. I have a couple of questions that maybe you can give me some opinions on. The motor only has 160 hours on it, the boat hasn't been in the water for 2 or 3 years, so as I've recently read, this is very bad for the engine? Also, It's an OMC Cobra 5.7 L stern drive. Are parts still available fairly readily? Thanks in advance for any and all comments...Happy New Year!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 am 
Andiamo

jj! Congratulations on your new boat and Welcome to the world of Boating and the Four Winns Family! I had a Sundowner for 11 years and now a Vista for 3 years and I am very satisfied with the four winns product! My Sundowner had the OMC and it was a good engine. I had "ZERO" problems with it in 11 years of ownership! I do not know if you can still get parts for the OMC. MAybe a Four Winns dealer who has been around for a while can tell you.

As far as the boat having sat for 2 to 3 years, a lot depends on how well it was serviced/winterized before it was stored? At a minimum, I would suggest you carefully inspect anything that is rubber that is likely to have dried out and will be susceptible to cracking like ALL Hoses, Belts, and especially outdrive Boots! The next thing would be to replace the impeller, change the Engine Oil and Oil filter, fuel filter, and Outdrive Oil and lube all fittings.

I am sure there are many on this board that are more mechanically inclined than I and can give you a more comprehensive answer.

Best Of Luck and Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:54 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have an 88 200 Horizon with the 4.3-4bbl/Cobra drive. I have not had trouble getting most parts with the exception of the one piece exhaust manifolds used on the V-6 models. Things that you replace often like impellers, thermostats, tune up parts are available. The key with the OMC drives is finding a mechanic that knows how to adjust them properly. When set up right they shift well and are pretty reliable. I have a good local mechanic that does the drive work for me so it has worked out well.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II