www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:55 pm 
Tadpole

New Sundowner owner,
I have a 99 205 Sundowner with the 5.0l injected motor, any help on the easiest way to access and change the oil filter?
It has the standard seating.

Thank You

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Is this a Chevy engine (distributor in the rear...oil filter in the left rear corner) or a Ford (distributor in front...oil filter in left front corner). The Ford would probably be pretty easy....on my Horizon (Chevy V-6) I take out the rear seats and move the battery on that side back and then lie down next to the engine on a foam pad to change it...not too bad but good that I only have to change the filter once a year.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 am 

A 1999 boat would (should be) fitted with a GM based motor. As Lou indicated, you'd need to take the rear seat out and lie on your back to get at the filter. Plus I'd recommend you fit a remote filter kit, so you don't have to do it again; I did, on my 1999 225 Sundowner!

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:10 am 

Graham did you use the V/P kit? If so how was the installation? I would love to do this and not have to remove the rear seats each year to do my winterizing because the rest fo the jobs I can get at without doing that but the oil filter I have to have the seats out. OMC never sold a remote kit fo my engine (some of the 5.7s did though) and I might ask my mechanics which kit would work...I could just mount the bracket on an interior panel in the engine compartment because my V-6 has the one piece manifolds and there are no seperate risers...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 am 

Lou,

I did use the VP kit, mainly because bits for American V8s are not very common here in the UK, plus I knew it would fit. If you're not going to need the VP filter head that attaches to the riser, no reason at all why an Automotive remote kit for an engine of the era could be used; corrosion possibly excepted, if the automotive adapter and head are mild steel ( The VP ones are I'm sure an aluminium alloy).

It was quite easy to fit; remove the old filter and attach the adapter; from memory it has a large " banjo" bolt holding it on and some O rings. I remember now it was a little bit fiddly attaching the hoses to the adapter at arms length, lying on my back when it was snowing on me. In hindsight I should have attached them, at least loosely, before fitting the adapter. The adapter and filter head have cast in arrows indicating flow, to ensure they are connected the right way around.

Graham

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for all the help and suggestions>