www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trim won't work
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 am 
Tadpole

I have a 1999 205 Sundowner with Volvo 5.0 Fuel injected v8. The drive is a Volvo Sx. I was on the river and the trim was working fine. I left an area we had visited with friends and the drive tilted down ok, we got under way and the drive would not tilt up- or make any sound. I checked the 10amp fuse at the pump and it was ok. Im not sure how to check the red circuit breaker mounted on the motor. I had to disconnect the hydraulic rams on the outdrive and raise the motor up by hand and secure it with a ratchet strap. Could the switch on the throttle control be bad? Could the pump motor be bad? There look like there are 2 small solenoids on the pump bracket, could they be bad? Looking for ideas-can't afford to spend too much! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Trim won't work
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:27 am 
email admin your custom rank

The circuit breakers are "press to reset". I believe ( I've never had one trip, so I may be completely wrong!). If none have tripped, it could be any of the things you mention.

The power supply to the trim switch; this is the white/ red cable ( which comes from the main engine connector)
Faulty ground connections to the pump.
The trim switch
The cables where they are wrapped around the shifter handle "axle"
Poor connection at the 3 pin multi pin connector at the shifter end
Poor connection at the multi pin connector on the helm end ( the cables from the trim switch feed into it).
Poor connection at the multi pin connector on the engine end.( the circular connector, with a hose clamp on it; they do come loose)
Poor connection to the multi pin connector at the pump
Faulty, loose or corroded terminals on the up/ down relays on the pump/ motor (unlikely that both would fail at the same time though)
Failed motor.

I'd start at the shifter end, checking for +12V to ground at the input terminal.(white/ red)
If ok, check the other 2 connections for +12V when the trim switch is operated.( White/ green is down, up is either white /black or white/ blue, I can't remember which)
If OK, check for +12 V at the pump end when the switch is actuated.

It's just a matter of tracing it through/ elimination.

Graham

Post subject: Re: Trim won't work
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks Graham,

Turned out to be the 50amp circuit breaker. One of the posts on the rear of the breaker had broken off, the breaker didn't trip, there was just no power runiing through it. Thank goodness for a friend with a multi-meter!

Thanks for the help, back on the water!