www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 pm 
Guppy

Hello all
Just got back with an '03 225 and the RPM gauge don't work. Anybody have the same problem with their boat.

Thanks
Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

If it's a Faria gauge, apart from checking the connections there's not a lot more you can do. The tachometer on my '04 Sundowner started to fail over a period of time after the FW warranty had expired; pegging and sometimes not working unless it was tapped. Slackening off the nuts on the mounting bracket, as recommended in the Faria FAQ helped a little, but I eventually sent it back to Faria who exchanged it for a new one for a very reasonable fee, under their lifetime warranty scheme. If it's a Faria tachometer you have, see their website for details.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:56 pm 
Guppy

Graham
On the road working, will check to see if its a Faria gauge.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 am 
Guppy

Graham
Did you purchase your boat new or used. Just wondering if that applies to origional owner only.
Thanks

Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Doyle,

Mine was a "left over " 2004 boat bought in 2005. I believe the Faria "limited lifetime" warranty doesn't just apply to the first owner.

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:24 pm 
Tadpole

I think the Faria tachs are crap. I got tired of rapping my knuckles on mine in order to get it to indicate properly, and so tore into it one day last season. Gave it the WD-40 treatment and only got it to work for about two months. Although exact replacement Farias are available on eBay, I decided I wanted a different brand.

I bought an Autometer 3-3/4" guage instead. I removed the Faria, which is also 3-3/4", and found that since the Autometer was deeper and didn't have brass screws on the back, I couldn't use the same mount as the Faria.

I ended up epoxying the outer bezel to the instrument panel and modifying the new tach by drilling and installing the screws from the Faria on the back of the new tack. I made the tach connections inside the housing to the screws (being careful to drill two of them to match the aluminum bracket), cut and bent the bracket so that it would bear on the outer bezel rather than the panel itself, made sure the connections were correct, and voila! I have a tack that should work a bit longer than the Faria.

BTW, the gray boat wire connects to the green tack wire, the purple boat wire connects to the hot 12V wire (red) of the tach, black connects to black, and the blue instrument light boat wire connects to the white tach wire. For the latter, I just snipped off the light from the blue wire, stripped the end, and used a small twist-type connector.

It works!