www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 pm 
Tadpole

I've determined that my recently acquired 205 has a broken scupper drain.(BTW, with absolutely NO help from two boat dealers $$) I have two questions/concerns. How on earth do you gain access to change that darn thing? How does the water that is leaking past the broken pipe/fitting get to the transom drain? It looks like a sealed compartment? Could water stay in that side of the boat? All help appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

It's probably the same type that was fitted to my 1999 225. The one at the deck (with a ball inside it to prevent back flow into the boat) is just screwed to the deck, from memory the outlet is just screwed on as well. There is a length of tubing connecting the two.

The "sponsons" through which the tubes pass are sealed, so if water does get in them from a leak it cannot get out. I vaguely remember a post about such a problem on a FW from many years ago, might not even have been on here. The dealer's solution was to drill a hole at the lowest point and drain the water out, subsequently repairing the hole. Something I would not like to do myself!

If I had been faced with that problem, I'd have removed the upper scupper assembly and used my "Pela" vacuum oil extraction unit to suck the water out.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm 
Tadpole

Hi Graham,

Yea, that's the part. It looks like a ping pong ball inside a pvc assembly. I've removed the four screws but can only get the part about 1" out. If I could get it off, I would try the vacuum trick. Would love to see a diagram of the where and hows. It would seem reasonable to install a drain plug in that cavity. Not very comfortable drilling a hole in the hull. Thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:02 am 

Yes, I thought it was a ping pong ball in there! The scupper has a 90 deg. outlet, you're pulling it up as far as where the 90 deg. turn is and the hose is probably stopping it from being angled out of the hole in the deck. The outlet is from memory a straight thru- hull which may pull out enough to get the 3/4" hose off it, I'm sure that's how they put it together in the first place; that would then allow the scupper to be wiggled out at an angle.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 pm 
Minnow

Was there ever a resolution to this post? I have the same broken scupper that tried to take my boat to the bottom of the launch. Good thing I had not pulled the trailer out yet. I have the part coming just curious how it went.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:30 am 

to gain access you have to cut the floor just in front of the drain screens(after you install a large round screw-in access hatch) its a major pain not to mention the system is flawed when it gets old. it almost sunk my boat a few years ago after hitting some rough waves and one side broke off.
I ended up plugging and filling the holes, covered the drains and making cut-outs so the water would drain into the engine bilge. then to make sure i could drain the sponsons I added a brass bilge drain plug to each side,gave me peace-of-mind knowing the boat would sink due to one of those crappy contraptions breaking without knowing

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm 

neutron wrote:
to gain access you have to cut the floor just in front of the drain screens(after you install a large round screw-in access hatch) its a major pain not to mention the system is flawed when it gets old. it almost sunk my boat a few years ago after hitting some rough waves and one side broke off.

What actually broke? The outlet is a standard through hull bolted in place. The scupper doesn't move; it's screwed onto the floor. They shouldn't move relative to each other.

Was it the hose connecting the two that failed or the hose barbs on either of them ??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:15 pm 

Graham R wrote:
neutron wrote:

What actually broke? The outlet is a standard through hull bolted in place. The scupper doesn't move; it's screwed onto the floor. They shouldn't move relative to each other.

Was it the hose connecting the two that failed or the hose barbs on either of them ??

The plastic assembly with the ball became brittle over time and just crumbled apart and fell to the bottem of the sponson, when this happes it falls below the water line and then it floods till it goes over edge then into the bilge.
the hose is just standard white rubber and last forever with a hose clamp on either end.
The four winns dealer repaired the port side prior to me owning it, and they cut the floor and added the access cover but I didnt want to deal with it so I got rid of it completely. newer sundowners dont even use this system

Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:15 pm 

Graham R wrote:
neutron wrote:

Major design flaw if you ask me, should have been stainless not plastic that falls apart and breaks when the boat hits some rough water

Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:49 am 

Agreed, it's a bad design if it can fall apart leading to the possibility of water ingress. Also agreed that the later Sundowners don''t use the same system; none of it is hidden away in the sponsons.