www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

I'm going to be spending my first night out on the water next week at Norris Lake in TN. What are some thing that I might need to prepare or do? Do I leave my anchor light on all night if I'm back in a cove and if so wont that drain my battery? (I only have one battery). ANy other tips or suggestions would be great. THANKS NEIL

Tow Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited SOLD
1999 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 SOLD
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm 

Around here, you must have the anchor light on at all times, while at anchor. If you install an LED retrofit bulb in place of the original incandescent, you would have no battery issues.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:29 pm 
Clownfish

Neil,

I just spent a weekend on Norris and had no problems. Yes, keep your anchor light on at all times while on the hook at dark. Nav lights when on the go. Pick a quiet cove, one that will get no traffic, and enjoy. Some of those coves you won't even see another boat. It is a very nice lake however the waterways are so narrow that you'll get wake disruption that you can't escape. Take a trip out to the main lake it is worth it. We went on Sunday around noon and had hardly no other boat traffic. It took us a few hours from Twin Cove Marina so make sure you have the fuel to do it. Don't fuel at the marina or right as you get off the highway. Pick a spot closer to town it is cheaper. Marina was $3.25/gal. Ouch! Have fun and let us know how it went.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 pm 
Clownfish

Forgot to tell you, I have only one battery as well and have never had a problem with the standard anchor light on all night. I also run a fan in the cuddy some times along with the usually cockpit lights. I do take an emergency battery box (car starter) every time I go out. I don't like to push my luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:43 pm 

Thanks guys, I'm going to bring my jump started just incase I do run down the battery. I just didn't know if there was anything else I should bring or might need. Do you think that if I find a soft beach that it would be better to beach it or just drop the anchor? I'm really excitied for this trip. We are leaving Wednesday the 1st and staying untill either Sunday or Monday. Wednesday is the only night we are staying on the boat, as I wanted to get down there a day before the rest of my family does. We are staying at Lakeside Estates, which I'm not really to sure what that is at. We should be on the water Wednesday late afternoon some time. I just hope that after dinner at one of the bar/grills it will be light enough to find a nice cove with no one else. Regardless, Ill take some pictures and post them up for everyone to see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:35 pm 
Clownfish

I don't like to beach my boat. I would drop anchor and then drag a stern line to the beach and spike it in the sand or tie off on a tree/rock. Be careful though, there are lots of submerged trees in some areas, as I found out anchoring in a cove to cook up breakfast. I was unable to get it unhooked and had to cut us free. Hey, I got a pretty new anchor now! Norris is also very deep compared to what is around here. Make sure you have enough anchor line to give you the right ratio. 175' deep is common, 50' or so in coves. We did anchor out with four other boats during the day and the float barely moved is was so calm. Just pick a pretty spot, relax, and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:44 pm 

jf210mpd wrote:
I don't like to beach my boat. I would drop anchor and then drag a stern line to the beach and spike it in the sand or tie off on a tree/rock. Be careful though, there are lots of submerged trees in some areas, as I found out anchoring in a cove to cook up breakfast. I was unable to get it unhooked and had to cut us free. Hey, I got a pretty new anchor now! Norris is also very deep compared to what is around here. Make sure you have enough anchor line to give you the right ratio. 175' deep is common, 50' or so in coves. We did anchor out with four other boats during the day and the float barely moved is was so calm. Just pick a pretty spot, relax, and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I will have to buy more anchor line, I think mine is only about 50-75 ft long as I had to cut it last year when it somehow got wrapped around my prop. I know what you mean about the anchor, new or old, if you had to cut it thats irritating. No one wants to buy a new anchor. I never thought about anchoring the front and tying the back to a rock or something. I'll probably end up doing that. I'm just nervouse I'm going to come loose and drift into something. But I guess Ill just have to experience it and see how everything goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:04 pm 
Clownfish

I've spent several nights on the hook up here. We love boat camping! Never had a problem. The coves down there will be perfect for your first night out. Don't worry about breaking anchor if it is properly set and you don't encounter a huge storm. The coves are very well protected. Just take your time, do it right the first time, and enjoy yourself. If you do enjoy it maybe we can hook up for an overnighter.

Joe