www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:08 am 
Seahorse

Wow, that's a lot of mods :) Got any pics?

BTW, what year is your boat?

Yes, I agree with you, you could take the good cuddy and turn it in to as much cruiser as you wish, all parts are available from FV and if you look at it all is pretty simple to install like water or electrical.

Just needs time (who has it? :) )

I would think that we can install

- fresh water/sink
- waste
- grey water?
- transom shower (or even cabin shower)
- hot water
- stove
- fridge
- invertor
- 2x battery
- shorepower
- charger
- city water?
- ac/heat (5000 BTU?)
- generator @ 4kw?
- additional fuel tanks?

And you can have a pretty nice cruiser :)

The only difference will be freeboard and aft cabin.

The freeboard will be 2-3 ft as vs 4-5 ft on a cruiser, but still if you have self bailing cockpit it is a seaworthy boat :)

So you keep it in a marina? Any weather damage?

Sprint8 wrote:
Jetboat14 - You are correct in what you said about adding options to a cuddy to make it closer to being a cruiser, BUT it still is a cuddy. I added shorepower, microwave, fridge, invertor, battery charger and TV to my sundowner. It already had a factory closed in head. My next addon will be a water tank and sink. I know that what I have done will not add any value to the boat but it makes the boat very usuable IMO. Total cost not counting the Tv was around $1000 US. The boat is kept in the water and I enjoy the marina lifestyle. I have heard a lot about the Putin Bay bash and I would love to go sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:46 am 
268 Vista

You can make a cuddy a "psuedo-cruiser" if you have the resources. If you are that set on cruiser amenities, why not just get a used 238 or 248 Vista.
All the mods are already there, it's trailerable, and you can handle a little rougher conditions in more comfort.
Just my 2 cents.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm 
Seahorse

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking..
Cuddy with less $$$ or a cruiser :)

I also like to upgrade things but not much time :)

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
You can make a cuddy a "psuedo-cruiser" if you have the resources. If you are that set on cruiser amenities, why not just get a used 238 or 248 Vista.
All the mods are already there, it's trailerable, and you can handle a little rougher conditions in more comfort.
Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:53 pm 
Guppy

Sorry jetboat14, I have a 1006 245x Sundowner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:11 pm 
Seahorse

Jetboat14 - My Sundowner is a 1988. Microwave and Fridge are under the Port seats. No damage from being in the water all the time. My marina is very well protected from the lake when it blows. I will post pics soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Last year I had a 20' Cuddy Cabin. I talked it over with my boating friends and family and was informed that taking anything less than 24' on Lake Erie is a risk, but first and foremost- taking anything on Lake Erie before checking the marine weather forecast is plain stupid. That lake can start to kick up waves/chop real big and real fast.

Case in point: My father in law used to live on a canal right off Lake St. Clair. One morning hes on the sunporch drinking his coffee, getting ready for work. A neighbor with a 37' cigarette comes putzing down the canal, says hes going to Cedar Pointe for the day, and chuckles it off as my FIL has to work. Well, my FIL checked the weather real fast for his neighbor and it said Lake Erie was kicking up 4-5'er's. In reality it could really be 7-8''er's. The neighbor just kinda shrugged it off "I have a 37' boat, ill be fine"

Around 4pm my FIL had gotten home from work and was in the back yard cleaning his boats and stuff when his neighbor in the go fast comes back. Windshield - missing. Guy has black eye, swollen face. Guy is standing in 4-6" of water in the cockpit. Apparently the waves were so large, much larger than the marine forecast that he drove right through one of them ripping off his windshield, and filling the cockpit with water! He was still standing in about 6" of water when he got home, bilge pump running non stop. He said he almost killed himself.

After hearing that story I didnt even bother to bring my old 20' down there. But Ive heard a lot of people say that on a calm day Lake Erie is beautiful and a nice ride. Either way, we have a trip planned to Cedar Point this year in our new (to us) Vista 258. I feel a little more confident now, but rest assured we are taking this trip with 3-4 other boaters so there will be a "caravan" of us following each other to Cedar Point in case anything does go wrong. 8)
You just gotta be careful, be over-alert, and think safety first. I do enjoy hearing these stories from friends/family about boating. Like the time my FIL worked at his family owned oldsmobile dealership. A salesman they had hired was kicking butt and banked all this money. He decides hes going to get a small scarab (30' or whatever). Never boated his whole life, ever. He gets the boat - first day out - a few buddies, wife, kids on boat. Hammers the throttle and is cruising really nicely across Lake St Clair. Well the guy never asked anybody about underwater obstructions or even looked at a chart. You know where this is going :lol:

He hit what us locals call "the firecracker". Its an underwater rock crib. Marked with a buoy, most drunken idiots think its a channel marker. Well before he could say "oh $*@!" both of his outdrives were torn off with and he was bobbing around in the lake. The boat was a total loss. He was going over 55MPH when he hit the underwater rock crib (under the water about 5" or so). Luckily nobody was killed. I dont know why, but i always enjoy that story...LOL

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:40 pm 
Guppy

I have a 1985 sundowner 225 that I keep at anchor point and use all the time on lake erie. it's plenty big enough of a boat for the big lake. it's sides are nice and high and it handles the waves very well. just use common sense, have respect for the water, and watch the weather and you'll be fine. I make the run out near the islands quite a few times in the fall for perch fishing. with a 70 galllon gas tank, the boat was made for those kinds of runs. all the horror stories I read are stories where stupidity played a much greater role than the boat being inadequate. it doesn't matter if you have a thirty foot boat if you don't repsect the water and how dangerous it can be. i keep a link on my computer to check lake conditions and always stop by butch and denny's to double check the conditions. waves 2 feet or less, and waves 1-3 feet are the conditions i look for. waves 2-4 i tend to stay in, but if i'm not going far and they are more towards the "2" side than the "4" side, i'll give it a go. and although i try not put myself bad conditions, if you can handle your boat well with your trim tabs, power trim, and throttle control, you can stay safe in rougher water. hope this helped and happy boating 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 pm 
Tadpole

I own a 1989 FW Sundowner 225. I use it on Lake Michigan most of the time, and it performs very well. There may be days when you would not want to wander out, but it would also be a uncomfortable on a 30footer on days like that. I have had it in 8 foot swells and it was quite stable. I love FW boats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

My parents keep their 245 at Skipped Buds in Marble Head. They frequent Pun-in-Bay and stay on the boat.

They boat on Lake Erie almost every weekend from June - Mid September.

We have boated on our 205 previously and it seemed to be ok. Any seas over 2-4 feet and you better be ready for some rocking!

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:48 pm 
Minnow

I've run my 1998 245 all the way up to Mackinaw City from Wyandott on the Detroit River. We did it in 3 legs, 3 days.. We went about a 100 miles a day. first stop Lexington, then Harrisville, and final stop at Mack. City. It was a great trip. We didn't have any trouble. A little choppy going across Saginaw Bay. Obviously we had to watch the weather but the 245 had no problem.

5.7 GI/DP-A 280hp x 2

Previous:
2012 Crownline 260 CR 350 Mag/Bravo III 300hp
1998 FourWinns 245 Sundowner 5.7 GSI/SX 280hp