www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New boat 255 sundowner
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:24 pm 
Tadpole

Hi. I have just bought an 255 sundowner built in sweden on licence, its an 1994 mod, i guess its the same as 1991/2 models in us.
It has an peninsular 250hp diesel engine, still under assemblying, and a king cobra stern drive.
This is my first four winns, and i like it :)
I am hoping to get the boat on the water in a couple of weeks.
Does anybody know where i can get a camper canvas to it?
This is the canvas i have, but here in the north we need to sit under a canvas all the way, so i need the canvas and the back canvas holder.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:12 pm 
Clownfish

Welcome to FW. Enjoy your Sundowner!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I think your best bet is to find a marine canvas shop to make it for you, first get a bimini top that is the right size (so you can stand under it) then after it's installed (you most likely will have to mount it on the inside of the gunnels, not the windshield frame as that convertible top was) the measurements can be taken and the camper canvas can be made. Some people use 2 biminis together, that way you just have to get the windows and an aft curtain made. On a boat that size, I might go with an 8' bimini that is tall enough for you to stand up...I have a 6' on my little 200 Horizon...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:30 pm 
Tadpole

Bimini tops are hard to come by in Norway, but i can probably find some in the US an get it shiped over here, it sounded as an good idea.
discovered a new problem to day, the forward drain pump didnt work so i turned the impeller by hand and get it loose, but when i put it back in it eksploded in my hand, :shock: so i need a new one, i think the impeller house is hard to get out so i need an original pump, anybody who know where i can get one?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:39 pm 

Wow!! Nice 255 you have there 8)

I have a '91 255 Sundowner, identical to yours. I think its so cool yours has a diesel engine. I have a gas 5.7l v8.

Any way, I have the same exact canvas you have. Its not normal here either, although its the base canvas package I believe. What is more common here in the US is the full canvas, that does not drop in the back, which basically makes the aft seating unusable with the backdrop up!

You will not find any support for that canvas (i.e. trying to buy a new OEM 255 Sundowner canvas); the 255 Sundowner was pretty rare as it was, and is almost 20 years old now. Your best bet is to find a canvas maker. They usually need the whole boat and existing bimini top to rebuild/alter the design. I will be having my bimini top and backdrop rebuilt this winter. Mine is the original and is a little dry rot....

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 pm 

Well, I thought I'd update this thread.... Ive been getting quotes to have the convertible top, side windows, and back drop completely rebuilt for my 91' 255 Sundowner. So far, three quotes sit in my inbox from three different canvas companies.

The lowest quote is $2,455 :shock: Wowza. Thats with absolutely no alterations, rebuilt just like OEM. With alterations (a zippable screen in the backdrop for ventilation) the price goes up $200.

I dont know that I want to put $2,455 in this boat. Ill never get it back out when I sell, and I plan on selling in the next year or two to get back into a 258 Vista (or bigger). However, the convertible top I have now is on its very last legs. Every month I have to get it repaired because it keeps ripping in random spots due to dry rot. IF I go ahead with the repairs, I will have to hold on to the 255 for at least 5 more years to get some money back on my investment. I dont know that I want to do that, either.

Just thought I'd share my experience with the quotes.

379 hours as of 8/8/21