www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 225 Prop selection
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 pm 
Tadpole

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with different prop options on a 225 with a 280 hp 5.7 Volvo Penta? I have an SX drive with what I think is the recommended 14 3/4" X 19 3 blade stainless prop. I'm not completely unhappy with the performance now, so wondering if brand of prop has any impact? I would maybe give up a little top end to gain a little quicker hole shot and lower planing speeds when traveling with a heavier load.

On that note, with a heavier load (4 adults 4 kids) I must leave my trim all the way down in order to not start porpoising, and even then I sometimes have to run a little faster than I would like to smooth it out. Any thoughts?

Really just wondering if anyone is running any prop other than a 14 3/4" X 19 3 blade stainless prop on same/similar boat?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: 225 Prop selection
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I switched from what you have to a four blade 14 18 pitch. I got the piranha propeller because of the price and ease of changing it. Check their web site. I ended up with a little better hole shot, I can stay on plane to about 17 mph and still get to 5000 rpm at wot. I'm happy with it and will probably get a few spare blades as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 pm 

Interesting follow up to this. So i was cruising at about 5 mph in shallow water. I hit what must have been a sandy bottom. All the blades sheared off cleanly. I did have extra blades, so in about ten minutes we were back up and running. If that were aluminum I would not have had a spare, and other damage may have occurred. If I has switched to stainless I'd have the extra aluminum prop, but likely would have had serious outdrive damage. Four spare blades = $80. Good insurance if you ask me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm 

As far as porpoising goes, that's a weight distribution issue. 4 adults/4 kids you're going to have to move people forward off the stern of the boat. Kids in the back adults in the front.

I don't have tabs, but this is what I do.. Drive all the way down when starting. Get up to cruise RPM of 3000. Start trimming drive up, watch RPMS raise. When it starts to cavatate, lower a bit you'll feel a sweet spot. Throttle down back to 3000. With a full house I have to raise my cruise RPM to around 3100-3200.

Same goes for a boat with tabs. Start out drive down, tabs down. When on plane, raise tabs all the way up.. follow procedure above to trim drive. Use tabs to "level" the boat side to side. Tabs should not be used to make the boat plane, you're "dragging ass". Increase the RPMs a little bit.

I have a H180 with a 3.0, I have no issues with planing with no tabs with 6 adults as if the boat had just me in it. It's all about the drive trim and RPMs.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread