www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:02 pm 
Tadpole

I have a 1996 245 sundowner. It has been a great runner since 1997 when I bought it. Recently however I have started experiencing problems with it stalling. Two weeks ago I was going approx: 40 mph and it stalled out. When it stalled there was no electricity to anything except the out-drive. I looked for a short but was unable to find it. Pushed the red breaker buttons in particular the 20 amp one controlling the electrical circuits but it would not start. The next day a mechanic looked at it and pushed the same breaker button and it started. I used the boat for tubing and waterskiing and had no problem. yesterday I was again going about 40 mph and it did the same thing. I cannot get the red breaker button to push in and there is not electrical power to any of the guages, switches, radio etc. Using a light tester I do have electrical power to the red 20 amp breaker. The batteries and ground are good and clean. the breaker next to the key is also good. Any ideas on the problem? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:36 pm 
Nauti Luv

I would start checking the connections at the breaker to make sure they are clean, and also tight. I understand you say the batteries are clean, but there could be corrosion inside the power or ground cables causing issues as well.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

Check the main connector for power underneath the dash; a 2 pin connector, with thick black and I think red or pink wires. Mine pulled apart due to the weight of the main cable harness pulling on it.

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:27 am 

Try checking the spark to your plugs. Your coil may be starting to go. Do your RPMs on the tac act up? Worth checking.

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 am 
Tadpole

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have checked all of the connections. Both batteries appear to be charged andbBattery connections have been wire brushed and considering the outdrive still goes up and down they seem to be clean and having a good connection. It cannot be the coil because what ever the problem affects the entire electrical system (eg: radio, lights, fan, digital displays and gauges.) except power to the outdrive which is on a different circuit. I have checked the connections to the main breaker under the dash as well as the breaker itself and they are good. Perhaps it is a bad 20 amp breakre. (red button in the front of the motor). I have light tested both of the contacts for the breaker and the light goes on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:36 am 

-.................................and of course the kill cord switch. If that starts getting corrosion inside it, sometimes it will work, sometimes not. I had some problems with mine over the last few years; making intermittent contact. This year it did it when I was getting the boat ready for launching. I didn't have time to get another one and change it, so I squirted it with contact clener and rotated the button a few times, it seems to have cleared it (for now). If it starts to play up again I'll change it ( I've hard wired a couple of sockets and made up a plug in jumper cable with a cord I can attach to me, so if it does fail at sea I'll be able to temporarily bypass the actual kill switch).

Graham