www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 255, 1990, 5.7L
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:36 am 
Seahorse

Who's got one ? I think they're few and far between.
If you have a 255, 5.7L what is your WOT ? What prop are you running ? Top speed ?
I'm topping out at 3600-3800RPM running the factory SS prop. Engine running strong, good tune up. 300 hours.
The tach has been replaced but I haven't checked it to see if it's accurate.

Post subject: Re: 255, 1990, 5.7L
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:50 am 
268 Vista

Per the FW chart, you should get 40-43 MPH at WOT out of the 255 with tthe stock 15 x 16" SS prop. Max RPM should be 4600-4800 RPM. The pitch of the stock prop should achieve that RPM. You have something else wrong that is causing the lack of RPM. Could be 1/2 dozen reasons.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hey!! Wow, I finally get to converse with another 255 owner :D You're the only other 255 owner Ive ever met, for the record!

My 1991 255 Sundowner has the 5.7LE, King Cobra. Came with an 15.25 x 15 aluminum propeller. With that, it would WOT at about 4600 RPMs and go about 34mph, per GPS.

However, I upgraded the propeller to a never used 15 x 16 OMC SST propeller last year. My RPMs are now about 4500RPMs and I squeeze 38.5mph out of it at WOT.

My tachometer is pretty accurate compared against hooking up the multimeter to the coil. But I'd strongly recommend doing that before drawing any further assumptions.

Post some pics of your 255! I'd love to see it. Ill do the same.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:03 pm 

A few pictures, as promised!

On the lake last year (we've since freshened up the bottom paint):

Helm, underway:

I have some more pics, but Im on the wrong laptop. Your turn! :)

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:49 am 
Seahorse

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/cimpl.jpg/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 pm 

She looks great Richard!! I dont know what it is, but every 255 Sundowner from our vintage seems to have held up very well - I wonder if FW used superior gel coat or something that era.... just a thought.

Have you figured out your prop/RPM issue yet? I'd be more than willing to help. Im in Michigan, and I see you boat on Lk. Erie.. my old stomping grounds. So if you ever want to meet up somewhere (Detroit River or mouth of Lake Erie somewhere) to have a 255 Sundowner 'meet' of sorts, let me know :) Also, feel free to message me here - I have the original Four Winns blueprints (yes, blueprints) for our boat along with every manual and parts list you can ever imagine. The last owner was alittle OCD and anal retentive, to my benefit of course...lol. I can scan anything into a PDF and email it, if you need anything. I even have the original showroom brochures on the 255!

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am 
Seahorse

Tech,
Your right about the gel coat. I think I read that they were using extra or better gel coat. It polishes up pretty easily but I would probably have picked another color if I had my choice. I was shopping for the model not the color. I've tried a couple different polishes but haven't found the magic 'once a season'. I've heard of having the gel coat clear coated to eliminate waxing but haven't looked into that. Bought her a few years ago at Bay City. All the canvas is original as far as I can tell. The camper top is near new condition except for staining on the window panels.
As far as the WOT problem goes I'm stymied. As I said she runs smooth and strong. Doesn't burn oil. Comfortably on plane at 2900 RPM. Needs very little tab. I'll have to see if I can borrow a tach from the marina or have them check it. When you go for WOT how much gas are you carrying ? Convertable top up or down ?

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 am 

Richard Chappel wrote:
Tech,
Your right about the gel coat. I think I read that they were using extra or better gel coat. It polishes up pretty easily but I would probably have picked another color if I had my choice. I was shopping for the model not the color. I've tried a couple different polishes but haven't found the magic 'once a season'. I've heard of having the gel coat clear coated to eliminate waxing but haven't looked into that. Bought her a few years ago at Bay City. All the canvas is original as far as I can tell. The camper top is near new condition except for staining on the window panels.
As far as the WOT problem goes I'm stymied. As I said she runs smooth and strong. Doesn't burn oil. Comfortably on plane at 2900 RPM. Needs very little tab. I'll have to see if I can borrow a tach from the marina or have them check it. When you go for WOT how much gas are you carrying ? Convertable top up or down ?

Rich

I have it rubbed & waxed once a season and Lucky Fox shines so nice, my neighbor across the canal thought it to be at least a 1998 model year!! I really enjoy the quality of the boat, built much more solid than my previous 99 FW Vista 258...believe it or not!

Ok, so back to the issue at hand. With my convertible top up or down, doesnt make any bearing on my WOT RPM at all and only knocks off about 1-2 mph of my cruise speed, when its up.

To put it into perspective - I have a 11' inflatable and 15 HP Nissan outboard that I tote out with me every weekend. This past weekend, I also brought out 2 friends, one is "michigan sized" if you get what Im saying...lol.. Anyways, with 4 people on board (easily 1000lbs of people alone), 3/4 tank of gas (75 gallons), the freshwater tank full to the brim, 3 FULL big coolers, the 103lb black lab, the 90lb outboard motor, AND towing behind our 11' inflatable - I planed out pretty quickly and hit WOT RPMs within probably a minute and half of hammering the throttle. I then scaled back to about 2/3 throttle and cruised at 3200 RPMs at 27mph.

With me, the first mate, and the black lab on board with 1/2 tank of gas and full freshwater tank, I get 4500RPMS and 38.5MPH (gps verified).

I use 87 octane with the appropriate dosage of Sea Foam gas treatment. I also have a 15 x 16 OMC SST propeller (factory prop for our boats is 15.25" x 15 aluminum).

If you are truly not hitting your RPMs, although Im positively certain your dash tachometer is reading incorrectly (you need to get a multi-meter to verify the RPM's), then you need to really check and recheck your ignition timing.

That 5.7 LE engine and that big butt 4 bbl carb will get you moving and should have zero problems hitting WOT RPM's and getting you fairly close to 40mph.

379 hours as of 8/8/21