www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:27 am 
Tadpole

OK so I have a 1989 Sundowner with a 65 gal tank. Fuel gauge has generally always only gone up to half way on gauge. So I read all the posts and talked to my local boat guy.

I figured it was saturated float. I opened up nice big cover on floor and sending unit is very easy access. Removed the unit complete and I can move the metal rod up and down by hand and gauge goes from empty to full just like it should. So I figured great the sending unit works just need to replace float.

My boat guy didn't have any floats only just replacement universal units. I went to auto parts store and they had a float for a car which fit nicely on the rod. Actually I tested both floats in water (the old float and new) and they both floated fine.

I have now tried the new float and the old float again and gauge only goes to half way. The rod isn't touching anything in the tank as far as I know. The rod does seem a LITTLE stiff moving up and down by hand so maybe that is keeping it from floating all the way up to show tank is full. I did try to lubricate the rod and didn't make much difference.

Should I just get a new universal unit or find somewhere that can sell me one specific to my boat or fuel tank?

I hate to replace the whole unit when it seems to be working just can't get float to top of tank! And yes tank is full of gas. This is like a challenge to me and I hate to lose!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Newby on board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

What about somethink like this http://www.wemausa.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:58 am 
Shark

i discovered yesterday mine seems to be stuck at half. at least we were at the boat ramp when i 'discovered' this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 am 

The float itself may be fine, but the sending unit is a variable resistance sender, the way to check it is to hook up an ohm meter to the terminals and find out what the specs should be as the arm swings up and down, I think the sender itself is bad....You should see the resistance reading on the ohm meter change smoothly as the arm moves from full up to full down. The trim sender on OMCs and Volvos works the same way...
Be careful not to strip those small screws/bolts that hold down the sending unit and use a new gasket, they can leak with a full tank. Some replacement screws I have seen come with sealer on them already....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:45 pm 
Tadpole

I put a new sending unit in it (the generic kind where you have to cut the metal rod to correct length). It now goes to 3/4 when full but that is it. When you take sending unit out and move it with your hand the gauge goes perfectly from empty to full.

I think it is possibly hitting on something in the tank but the old gauge surely wasn't and this is the same style gauge. Very aggravating.

I may have to break down and buy one of the more expensive sending units that doesn't have the long arm rod on it but rather has the float on a slide that is straight under the unit. That way it can't hit anything in the tank.

Anyway not a huge deal for me as I don't go on any long trips and when it gets to 1/4 tank I will be fueling it up!

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 pm 

Paul, those seem to be a great quality, anyone have any experience with them?

Greg