www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:08 pm 
Tadpole

First Post - This is sad.

Can't even tell you how long its been but I have not seen the inside of this boat in at least 8 years. I have just kept putting new tarps on it every other year or so. Reason it went down is change of priority for me and I removed the motor
cover because the hinges had failed.

I will open her up next week and will report. I have a feeling I will want to get advice and opinions as I go. I have regained the itch and I want to return to the boating world. Stay tuned and thanks in advance. :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Good luck with it! We have quite a few older Four Winns owners here (and some that have older boats, too .... :mrgreen: ), that can help you out, once you get into it.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

Last edited by M3eater on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:46 pm 

I have a similar boat (the 88-92 20' Sundowners and Horizons use the same hull with a different top cap) and I've replaced much of the deck, repaired stringers, replaced all the seating, and upgraded some of the electrical (dual battery system, new batt cables, etc). Original engine and drive still. I'd let it air out really well, my main concerns given having it covered with tarps is mold, mildew and rot, esp in a damp climate like here...
Ask away any questions....
I'd figure on airing it out, taking up the cover over the gas tank, getting whatever is in the tank pumped out, getting the tank cleaned, rebuilding the carb, checking the fuel lines all before even trying to start it. I'd also replace the anti-siphon valve on the gas tank, I bet it's rusted internally unless you are in a dry climate.
Then I'd remove the spark plugs, and spray penetrating oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a few days, before trying to spin the engine over manually with wrench. IF you can't get it to turn over then you have to get a mechanic involved, the engine will have to come apart to get the rust off the cylinders and piston rings.
The drive, you will have to replace the impeller and gaskets as a minimum and make sure there is oil in it before firing up the engine.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm 

Good luck, the above post has some great suggestion. What entered my mind, is the new type of gas we are now using. On a "89", is there "mods" that need to be done? I have heard of more stories on this with older boats.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 pm 

the ethanol in the gas will clean out the tank but clog up the fuel system in the process, a boat sitting that long is going to need a lot of work to get it running again, hopefully the engine was well fogged to prevent rusting of the cylinder walls.
The entire fuel system has to be gone through, for it to be reliable...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 am 
Tadpole

Thanks, Exactly the kinds of advice I need. Air it out, take it apart. Specifically. I will survey the situation starting with the deck over the tank. Then start to go deeper. I believe this will be my larger winter project this year.

Again thanks I will benefit from your comment and advice.

Fern :!:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:40 am 
Sting Ray

I bought mine in the very condition you are describing. Mine only sat for 2 years and the engine was stuck. I bought it in the fall of the year. Before winter set in me and my oldest son went out and pulled all the spark plugs and just hosed the cylinders down with WD-40. We may have gotten carried away, but we used 2 good sized cans on it. After that we screwed the plugs back in finger tight and just left it sit over the winter. Went out in the spring and put a breaker bar on the crank bolt. After a little work it decided to free. With the plugs out we just kept working it until the starter would spin it freely. We installed new plugs and the thing fired right up. I was shocked. It has ran great ever since.